• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Word hunt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word hunt

Morning all,

A family member called me last night for a chat and during the discussion, she said to me that she overheard a word which she had never heard before.

I asked her to spell it, but she didn't know how to, hence my googling has been fruitless.

The word phoentically sounds like :

Buton Air

where "buton" sounds like Futon, the type of bed.

Apparently it means something to do with a hole in a jacket, that you might put a flower in, eg carnation.

Anyone know the correct spelling of this mysterious word, so I can google its history ?

Ta very muchly
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Morning all,

A family member called me last night for a chat and during the discussion, she said to me that she overheard a word which she had never heard before.

I asked her to spell it, but she didn't know how to, hence my googling has been fruitless.

The word phoentically sounds like :

Buton Air

where "buton" sounds like Futon, the type of bed.

Apparently it means something to do with a hole in a jacket, that you might put a flower in, eg carnation.

Anyone know the correct spelling of this mysterious word, so I can google its history ?

Ta very muchly
    Very similar to Arse air - I would imagine

Comment

Boutonniere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boutonniere
      Last edited by oracleslave; 22 May 2009, 07:44. Reason: Link added

Comment

Wow, thank you Mr Oracleslave. Wordsmith of the Day !

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Do you not own a dictionary - as in a large book with lots of words in it?
          It's a lot easier to find a word you don't know using one. I find online dictionary's unhelpful. I always have one on my desk - mainly because I'm crap at spelling

In my OED Boutonniere nestles between Boutique and Bouzouki

HTH
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Pogle,

I do have a dictionary, but to find a word, you need to know how to spell it.

I was given the word phoenetically over the phone.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              Pogle,

I do have a dictionary, but to find a word, you need to know how to spell it.

I was given the word phoenetically over the phone.
              Yeah - but I reckon It's still easier with a book, this may of course be down to the fact that i am a REALLY REALLY bed speller!

Does anyone read dictionaries just for fun? or am I weird in that respect?

I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                Does anyone read dictionaries just for fun? or am I weird in that respect?
                Ahem! Errrr how can I put this........Um without you taking offence......

Errrrr - you are weird!

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                  i am a REALLY REALLY bed speller!
                  You don't say?

Comment

Are you sure he didn't mean the much loved item from the 1970's the Ronco Buttoneer!
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X