• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Declaring cash from Ebay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Declaring cash from Ebay

Whats the deal with it then? Do you? Do they? How do they know?

Just wondering.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

You should declare everything in the name of "fairness".

Not.

Comment

AFAIK If you are selling your own stuff, like second sale then you don't need to declare it.

But if you use suckers like snaw to bid for your crappy plastique (sp?) automobile then you have to share these un-Godly gains with Mr Brown.

Comment

What happens when it starts getting into thousands (£'s) comrade, not roubles?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
          What happens when it starts getting into thousands (£'s) comrade, not roubles?
          It depends on whether its a business or not -- volume per se has no bearing on it even though obviously high sales are more typical to businesses.

The only issue IR can have if you get MORE money for something you bought before -- if you get less (as it typically happen with resale of goods) then its all yours.

Naturally if you can afford to have a few shops then you should afford professional opinion - I recommend starting with a good doctor

Comment

What happens when you just sort of sell the stock from somewhere else and it errrr sort of disappears?

Comment

What happens when you just sort of sell the stock from somewhere else and it errrr sort of disappears?
              Then you sort of will have to learn how not to drop soap in the showers?

Comment

well don't you write stock off after water damage / fire damage / shop soiled, then throw it away (to ebay).

my company sells stuff on ebay as well, but it also sometimes sells stuff to me at a discount, I then sell it on ebay.
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                (whatever these are)

Comment

Wasn't there a thing in the press a while ago about this. Basically if you make over x number of sales then ebay has to notify the IR. I could google it but really can't be @rsed.

Tony in feeling somewhat tired mode!
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

There was a case recently (interview on Radio 4 with a tax inspector) whereby a loft clearer (it was his own loft) had been reclassified as a trader because of the sheer volume of stuff he listed. He was sent a tax bill based on his profit (as I recall, there was also a CGT calculation for his childhood stamp album that turned out to be worth a lot of money).

You know what you should do, and the chances of being caught for not doing it are not large. But then again, the same is true of burgling a house. Theft is theft whether from the state or a householder.

Comment

Working...
                    X