• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need a job...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a job...

Three months on the bench and not even one phone interview. I will have to turn to the Dark Side soon, if I can even find a place there, which is far from certain.

And the hurdles:
    Multiple interviews while they make up their minds.
    Questions about why I want to go permanent.
    Questions about gaps in the CV.
    Skills evaluation.
    Questions about where I want to be in 5 years.
    Playing "name that bit" with the resident "technical expert".
    Having to tell them all why I want to be like them.

Sigh.

Go permie.

Trust me, my only regret is not considering it sooner.

I'll wait a year, get some training and a better job than I'd get contract (Skills/interst wise) and hit the market when things pick up.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      Go permie.

I'll wait a year, get some training and a better job than I'd get contract (Skills/interst wise) and hit the market when things pick up.
      WHS.

It's what I've done. Pay isnt great but it's better than sitting on the bench watching the warchest evaporate. Treat it as a 12 month contract to see you through the downturn.

If something comes up in the first 3 months then excersise your probation period clause and get out.

The line I used to get this job was that the family were unhappy with the lack of certainty in contracting and my other half wanted to be sure the bills/mortgage etc were going to get paid.

Gaps in the CV are easily explained, you were a contractor, jobs didnt always run into each other, and you tended to take time of between contracts rather than while you were working.

In the current climate 12 months of paid holidays, sick pay, company pension and free training can make up the short fall between salary and the rate you might actually get atm, if you can get a contract at all.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        In the current climate 12 months of paid holiday,
        Cushy number then?
        The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Yep you all go permie....

Leaves more for me!

T

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
            Yep you all go permie....

Leaves more for me!

T
            And me too please

Comment

I can't even find anything permie
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                Go permie.

I'll wait a year, get some training and a better job than I'd get contract (Skills/interst wise) and hit the market when pigs fly.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                  Three months on the bench and not even one phone interview. I will have to turn to the Dark Side soon, if I can even find a place there, which is far from certain.

And the hurdles:
                  Multiple interviews while they make up their minds.
                  Questions about why I want to go permanent.
                  Questions about gaps in the CV.
                  Skills evaluation.
                  Questions about where I want to be in 5 years.
                  Playing "name that bit" with the resident "technical expert".
                  Having to tell them all why I want to be like them.

Sigh.
                  I take it you're being flexible on location and rate? What is your ideal gig? Chuck a reply on here, somebody might be able to give you a steer.

Really feel for you, and offer to help in any way I can. Switch to PMs if needs be.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Should Contractor UK be renamed to Permie UK?
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X