• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vodafone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vodafone

OK check this one out. I am out of contract now for 4 months. i have tighten my belt here on everything. I have phoned virgin to drop my package down to minimum, electric, gas etc... you know the usual. Anyway phoned Vodafone to say i need to get rid of my mobile broadband and drop my phone down to a minimum. Anyway co's I am still in contract with the mobile broadband another year they said no. So i turned around and said: "Sorry but I will not be able to pay the bill and I am trying to do this without it getting messy what are going to do to help me?" - Their response was "We will still bill you and if you don't pay, we cut you off and then we send the bailiffs around to collect the monies owing! - OK anyone know what my next move should be?

Incidently anyone in the same predicament, with warchest depleted start tightening your belts and save wherever possible.

Write to them and ask them to freeze/suspend the contract until you find work again - check with trading standards where you stand legally.

Comment

Thats what I asked them do but they won't have any of it. As far as they are concerned a contract is a contract and they will bill monthly. All my other service providers ie virgin, gas ,electric all accomodated and helped out these just did'nt want to know.
      Sorry should have mentioned that in the first post

Comment

Moral of the story - don't touch Vodafone with a bargepole. I came to that conclusion a few years ago, also after having to talk to them.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

"As far as they are concerned a contract is a contract"

sorry, i must have missed something. when is a contract not a contract?

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine View Post
            "As far as they are concerned a contract is a contract"

sorry, i must have missed something. when is a contract not a contract?
            I am not trying to break the contract what I am saying is that I have hit difficulties can you help by freezing payment for a few months or something else to help out. What the emphasis of the post is the way they treat people and that they prefer to put you into debt and send bailiffs around. Do you want to deal with companies like that?

Comment

They will have to take you to court and get a county court judgement before bailiffs will be sent round. Even if bailiffs are sent, you don't have to let them in, but you probably don't want to let it get to that stage.

In the meantime, they could try sending a debt collector but they have no powers of entry or to seize goods so you can tell them to piddle off.

However they can and will file a notice of default on your credit file, which as a thread on here last week showed, can be a real PITA if you need a credit check for work.

IANAL etc.

Comment

A suggestion from Google: sell the phone on eBay and use the money to buy yourself out of the contract.

Comment

Yes Platy thats what I don't want to happen because maybe at some point I will need SC clearence hence why I am acting on everything responsibly so that I don't get into debt. Its amazing that its only this company that is causing me problems.

Comment

I think all the mobile operators would do this. I'm fine with Vodafone and I've actually just signed a 24 month contract

Out of interest, do you have a business or personal contract? Could you not just close down your company?
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X