• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Guitar Amplifiers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guitar Amplifiers

hmm I´m thinking about buying a new guitar amp. I have an old Peavy back stage 30 watt. We have a street festival gig coming up and the organisers have contracted a sound engineer. Now my Peavy doesn´t have an output but I do have an instrument mic. so it´ll do that, unless I get a new amp.

We play a mixture of acoustic and electric, ranging from Simon & Garfunkel & Everly Bros to some raucous Rock´n´Roll, I have a Rickenbacker.

I´m thinking about the VOX VT-30 Valvetronix. Looks quite reasonable. But is it suitable for an acoustic?
    I'm alright Jack

hi bb, i have a mesa lonestar classic 2x12 which is easily the best amp i have ever played through. it's built to last and it also loves acoustic guitars. gives a beautifully clear chimey tone that beats a fender twin in the clean channel and will sustain for ever on channel 2 with almost any pedal in front (depending on your guitar). my 335 sings endlessly without a pedal, the strat prefers one, obviously depending on what type of music you're playing.

i had (still have) a peavey classic 30 which i loved and thought i'd never leave but it now sadly gathers dust in a corner.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      I´m thinking about the VOX VT-30 Valvetronix. Looks quite reasonable. But is it suitable for an acoustic?
      I've got an AD30VT - sounds really nice with my Yamaha APX500

Comment

Thx for that.

Hey Scotspine :-) Hopefully you are busy on the big stage knocking em dead with your Fender Strat.

I recently bought an acoustic, Western guitar, about 450 quid and what excellent quality for the price. Sounded better than a 1000 quid Martin. A good guitarist I play with confirmed. It uses excellent wood. Not quite as well made as the expensive guitars, still good workmanship though, and sounds fantastic.

http://http://www.musik-schmidt.de/products/de/Akustik-Gitarren/6-Saitige-Westerngitarren-mit-Tonabnehmer/Redwood-D-4-CE.html

One question what is that FT SW socket on the back of my Peavey. In the shop I noticed one on the VOX. What is the purpose of this? Is this the output? I tried outputing it to my recording device but didn´t hear anything. I´m not sure I can output a combo to a PA system.

By the way I was shocked to see a VOX that looked almost like my very first 60´s one, being displayed prominently. Hasn´t changed, even the knobs are the same. Amazing, almost like the 80´s and 90´s have been erased from memory. No sign of the popular transistor amps of the era. If Buddy Holly walked in the shop I don´t think he´d noticed things have changed.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

FT SW = foot-switch

hi bb. have you got a band together yet? gigging? me not, but i'd love to get back into it again. that's plan c

Comment

I have a Carlsbro 200 TC but I don't think you can get new ones any more

Comment

I have this for studio use but fine mic'd through the PA for gigs.

Linky
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Thx for that.

I´m not sure I can output a combo to a PA system.

If there's a line level (or even a speaker output) on the back of the amp, most PAs carry Di (direct Injection) boxes to allow it to be fed thru the PA.

Some purists prefer to have a mic in front of their speakers/combo anyway so they get the exact sound - DI doesn't take account of the effect the speaker(s) have/has.

Ahem - have always been better at the technology than the playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Some purists prefer to have a mic in front of their speakers/combo anyway so they get the exact sound - DI doesn't take account of the effect the speaker(s) have/has.
                  Yeah I know a couple of electric guitarists who do this, spouting the "my amp is part of my instrument" kind of nonsense - as if the audience can hear any difference at all when the band is playing together
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well I was intending to mic the amplifier that is what we normally do with our "mini" PA system.

I don't see any outputs on any of the small amps, so I think I may as well mic. it through the PA. My experience of doing that is that is sounds great, but the disadvantage of "yet another mic stand" on stage. These stages are always cluttered, which hinders me in jumping up and down when I'm playing a solo (just joking, I usually stand like a wax figure).
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X