• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

corporation tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

corporation tax

A quick question on corp tax which i'm sure has been asked before.

company year end is 31/7/09 at which i have roughly worked out corp tax will be due of 6.5k.

I have calculated i will be short of around 2k to pay this tax due to a training course earlier in the year reducing funds in the business account and also a 4k directors loan taken.

As i have 9 months after year end to pay this am i able to save money in the business from the next tax year to pay this, or does it all have to be paid from this years income?

Originally posted by framework View Post
    A quick question on corp tax which i'm sure has been asked before.

company year end is 31/7/09 at which i have roughly worked out corp tax will be due of 6.5k.

I have calculated i will be short of around 2k to pay this tax due to a training course earlier in the year reducing funds in the business account and also a 4k directors loan taken.

As i have 9 months after year end to pay this am i able to save money in the business from the next tax year to pay this, or does it all have to be paid from this years income?

CT for your co YE of July 09 will not have to be paid until roughly May 2010.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      CT for your co YE of July 09 will not have to be paid until roughly May 2010.
      He knows that, it's not what he asked.

Originally posted by framework View Post
      As i have 9 months after year end to pay this

The answer is......you should be fine.

Comment

Yes you can do this.

I'd expect your accountant to ask you what you were doing as your balance sheet in the accounts isn't going to look healthy but still as long as its paid then no worries.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          Yes you can do this.

I'd expect your accountant to ask you what you were doing as your balance sheet in the accounts isn't going to look healthy but still as long as its paid then no worries.
          With a balance of £4500 in the bank (ie £2k short of the CT liability) and the 'friendly' debtor of £4000 director's loan giving £8500 liquid assets, I reckon the balance sheet will look great with only £6500 creditors.
          "take me to your leader"

Comment

Don't forget that CT ought to be paid on the loan if it is still outstanding 9 months after the year end.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
              Don't forget that CT ought to be paid on the loan if it is still outstanding 9 months after the year end.
              Nope. CT is paid on profit not balance sheet. Taking a directors loan does not affect the amount of CT paid.

Its a BIK if its outstanding after 9 months of year end.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                Nope. CT is paid on profit not balance sheet. Taking a directors loan does not affect the amount of CT paid.

Its a BIK if its outstanding after 9 months of year end.
                If you say so, but I'd read this http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ct/returns/director-loan.htm

Your director’s loan account is not paid off within nine months of the company’s year-end
                If your director’s loan account is not paid off in full within nine months after the end of your company’s accounting period:

you must include details of the loan in your Company Tax Return
                your company must pay Corporation Tax on the loan
                HMRC will charge interest on the amount unpaid
                The current tax rate for director’s loans is 25 per cent of the outstanding loan.

For example, your company’s accounting period runs from 1 April 2008 to 31 March 2009. Your director’s loan account is overdrawn by £10,000 on 1 January 2010. You need to include information about this loan on your Company Tax Return. You should add £2500 (£10,000 x 25%) to how much Corporation Tax you must pay.
                Of course you do get a reclaim of the CT when the loan is eventually paid off.

And yes, there are also BIK issues.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                  If you say so, but I'd read this http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ct/returns/director-loan.htm

Of course you do get a reclaim of the CT when the loan is eventually paid off.

And yes, there are also BIK issues.
                  I stand corrected. Fecking stupid system.

Comment

directors loan will be paid off within 9 months after year end so it should work out ok.
                    the question was is it feasible to pay last years corp tax out of the following years profits

Comment

Working...
                    X