• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying VAT online

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying VAT online

I've always put a check in the post but last time I paid online making sure I entered the details exactly as requested.

This morning I received a nasty letter from the VATman informing me that I haven't paid, I wouldn't mind if there was one single mention of it possibly being an admin error on their part but no it just lists all the fines and penalties should I fail to pay the figure that they seem to have plucked out of the air.

Double checked the payment with my bank and it was paid 14/04/2009.

Anyone else had problems with online VAT payments?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

check with HMRC the payment reference code you used was correct for the VAT period you were paying, I too fell foul of this based on the ref code my accountant gave me.

Always best to speak direct to HMRC as they will see a payment just under a diff ref code.

Comment

Just thought...

I still have the green form, should I have sent it even though I paid online?

Seems a bit pointless paying electronically and then sending a form that has no way of indicating how I've paid.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Yep, still send the green form in also, doesn't quite make sense to me either, but dont really want to upset the Vat Man

The form has a tick box if you enclose a chq, so they will know when processing the form if you have paid online or not.

Comment

Originally posted by downsouth View Post
          check with HMRC the payment reference code you used was correct for the VAT period you were paying, I too fell foul of this based on the ref code my accountant gave me.

Always best to speak direct to HMRC as they will see a payment just under a diff ref code.
          A ref code is only applicable to Corp tax and PAYE, when you pay VAT you just use your VAT number surely?

On the form it says I need to provide the following info to make an online payment:

Payment amount
          account name: HMRC VAT
          sort code: 10-00-00
          account number: 52055000
          VAT Registration Number

They're shut til Tuesday.

Comment

I do VAT return online and pay by bacs transfer from the bank using the account details you have listed above. Never sent any forms by post. May be different if you do manual return though?
            Last edited by ctdctd; 23 May 2009, 12:39.

Comment

my mistake, that'll teach me to try and use me brain on a saturday!!

All your dets are correct, It might be worth if you haven't already speaking with your bank, your OP didnt say if you had or just checked online.

Gather all the info and then contact the vat gang

Comment

Originally posted by downsouth View Post
                my mistake, that'll teach me to try and use me brain on a saturday!!

All your dets are correct, It might be worth if you haven't already speaking with your bank, your OP didnt say if you had or just checked online.

Gather all the info and then contact the vat gang
                Well the details were correct and the payment went so they must have it? Over £500 more than the estimate which they seemed to have just guessed as they have no idea what I invoiced for.

Comment

I'm having exactly the same issue with a VAT payment already sent - Revenue keep sending bollox letters saying amount is owed, looks like they may have a problem with their systems
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Yes, the problem will be you didn't send the green form.

Without that they have no idea what you are paying them for so will not process the return.

I've been doing this for 3 years with no problems (send off green form, pay by BACS or bank transfer)
                    Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                    X