• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Navy warships dispatched as Spain invades seas around Gibraltar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From today's Daily Mail

Royal Navy warships have forced heavily armed Spanish ships to retreat from British waters around Gibraltar.

Relations between the 30,000 residents of the British outpost and mainland Spain have become strained following what the Foreign Office described as 'a violation of British sovereignty'.

The warships were dispatched after Spanish ships sent boarding parties to inspect fishing boats in British waters, despite having no authority to do so.

Sounds like a rather pitiful and transparent attempt, secretly prearranged with Spain, to distract the public from the MPs' expenses scandal.

I wonder what Britain has conceded in return. To actually hand Gibraltar back in due course? Wouldn't put it past McDoom, in his desperation.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Oh gawd. Please don't tell me this is Brown's "Falklands Moment".

Surely there must be more belligerent powers he could gee up a war against.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Haven't seen any mainstream news references to this so far. Should I cancel my trip to Spain next month?
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Haven't seen any mainstream news references to this so far. Should I cancel my trip to Spain next month?
        Not at all old chap. Just make sure you pick up your complimentary tin hat and SA80 before you leave.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          Not at all old chap. Just make sure you pick up your complimentary tin hat and SA80 before you leave.
          Well prepared, they're only Spanish after all
          Me, me, me...

Comment

If true its a classic strategy from Spain, similar to that old B&W movie "The Mouse That Roared" where the plot was something along the lines of a small, economically weak country ,militarily defenceless country declares war on a more powerful nation only to surrender promptly and seek internaional aid for the terrible hardships that it's country has had to endure under "war" and the unbearable invasion led by an evil fat Scotsman.

But more likely the Spanish navy are doing manouvers and some journo idiot decided to form his own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              From today's Daily Mail

Sounds like a rather pitiful and transparent attempt, secretly prearranged with Spain, to distract the public from the MPs' expenses scandal.

I wonder what Britain has conceded in return. To actually hand Gibraltar back in due course? Wouldn't put it past McDoom, in his desperation.

Sounds like gross paranoia to me.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                What you talking about. It's in The Sun: Spain invades British waters

It's also in The Express: RETURN OF THE ARMADA AS SPAIN ‘INVADES’ GIBRALTAR , but that is a comic.

Edit:

I wondered what the local press had to say.

Gibraltar Chronicle: BRITAIN TELLS SPAIN WATERS VIOLATION ‘UNACCEPTABLE’

The incident with vessel 'Tarifa' happened on May 8, just a day after the Gibraltar Government announced it was taking legal action following a row about Gibraltar waters.

The row stems from a decision by Brussels to approve a Spanish request to list most of Gibraltar's territorial sea - and an area of international waters too - as one of Spain's protected sites under EU law.
                Last edited by HairyArsedBloke; 23 May 2009, 19:03.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  What you talking about. It's in The Sun
                  Ah right
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post
                    ...an evil fat Scotsman
                    Do I know you?
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...