• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stupid iplayer and stupid ISP blocking iplayer downloads

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid iplayer and stupid ISP blocking iplayer downloads

I was abroad and landed back in the UK on Wednesday night, but too late to get home to see the Apprentice. I was not worried at the time as Sky+ was set to record it on 'series record'.

Thursday got busy so did not watch it then, but now 2 nights in a row I have been unsuccessfully trying to watch it:

First night, Friday, found Sky+ had only partially recorded it as the disk was full and the 'your fired' programme on bbc2 afterwards had failed to record. Upon investigation it turned out my disk was full on the Sky+ box. Strange though that later programmes has been partially recorded rather than failed even though no-one had watched / deleted any in the meantime. Anyway, deleted as much as possible to make room for future weeks.

I then tried to watch over iplayer, impossible with the continual jerkiness and loss of sound. Oh well it was a Friday night, the internet must be busy. So tried downloading it instead. No progress on the download until after midnight and even then it was slow. I just left it.

Now tonight tried to watch the downloaded content. It was done on my wife's laptop, but she's gone to bed knackered and I don't know her password. But I had changed the settings before the download to put in a folder accessible to all users of the machine and I had an account on the machine. I fired up the iplayer desktop in my account and tried to change the settings to the right folder. "This folder is not empty" comes the error message and won't let me change it.

So instead of being able to watch The Apprentice, I clicked on the help button and browsed the site. No particular suggestions there though I note for next time to download in WMV format to prevent this hassle again. I try the message forums and want to post a message there, but it says "The BBC iPlayer message board is currently closed for posting. It is open daily from 8am - 10pm".

Oh well - as least its streaming through iplayer now - got to watch it after all!

Oh the only problem we had with video tape was remembering to put a blank one in the machine and if you did forget there was probalby someone who had recorded it and could lend you the tape!
    Last edited by MPwannadecentincome; 23 May 2009, 22:02.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

You've completely failed at every turn, you're fired.

Comment

Originally posted by basshead View Post
      You've completely failed at every turn, you're fired.
      oh good I can start contracting then!

Comment

I'll save you some trouble...Ben was fired.

See, that was easy, wasn't it ?
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
          I'll save you some trouble...Ben was fired.

See, that was easy, wasn't it ?
          Very easy and I knew that from the news the following day, actually did not take the fun out of watching it though.

Comment

BBC say....

Dear xxxxx,

Thanks for your e-mail regarding downloaded programmes not being accessible through other PC accounts.

At present, downloaded programmes can only be played back through BBC iPlayer Desktop via the account under which it was initially installed. However, we hope to change this soon as we are also aware that there are concerns that downloaded childrens' TV content need to be accessible through the necessary alternative accounts.

Thanks once again for contacting BBC iPlayer.
            so I just have to wait for the next version then....

Comment

Working...
            X