• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who has Daughters?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has Daughters?

Hmmm even with two sons & a misfire, I still class my views as to the right of Genghis Khan

daughters in the family
    Economists claim to have found a correlation between the number of daughters and sons in a household and their father's political views.

By analysing data in the British Household Panel Survey, they found that 67 per cent of parents with three sons and no daughters voted for Labour or the Liberal Democrats.his rose to 77 per cent in households with three daughters and no sons. A similar patter was found among families with two and four children.

Professor Andrew Oswald, from Warwick University, and Dr Nattavudh Powdthavee, of York University, wrote in an unpublished article that has been submitted to an economics journal: "This paper provides evidence that daughters make people more left-wing, while having sons, by contrast, makes them more right-wing."
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

they found that 67 per cent of parents with three sons and no daughters voted for Labour or the Liberal Democrats.his rose to 77 per cent in households with three daughters and no sons.
    Er, wot? Some how I think there may be problems with their sample set. Fellow academics do not represent the general population.

However, 77% voting Labour for parents with daughters correlates with my observation that men that live in otherwise all female households suffer from serious mental illnesses.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

1 boy & 1 Girl - what does that make me then?
      Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

A more remarkable finding might be that there is a over 70% turnout for voting in those people who participate in the British Household Panel Survey. Clearly not a group of people who are unaware they are being watched!

"... wrote in an unpublished article ..." then why is it being reported upon at all? So it has not even been through peer review yet. It might be a correlation based not upon testosterone but upon utter bollocks.

It never ceases to amaze me how these "bad science" articles never include links to their sources.

Edit: now I have re-read the article, it says about two thirds of the sample set with sons voted labour whereas about three quarters with daughters voted labour. This is one of those bits of research where the number are "approaching statistical significance". I.e. irrelevant.
        Last edited by BrowneIssue; 24 May 2009, 14:03.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
          1 boy & 1 Girl - what does that make me then?
          balanced!

Comment

2 boys and 1 girl.

What do I win?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              2 boys and 1 girl.

What do I win?
              A large overdraught.

Comment

2 boys and 1 girl.

What do I win?
                A vasectomy
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

2 boys and 1 girl.

What do I win?
                  Got the same also.

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                  A vasectomy
                  Got one of those already - what else do I win?

Comment

I have three but have never gone down the route if the lib dems.
                    Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Comment

Working...
                    X