• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Schmoke and a Pancake

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schmoke and a Pancake

The new gig is sending me to Amshterdam for a day next week.

Anyone else there? Any recommendations etc. etc. (other than the predictable red light district)?

I used to live here

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...20.81,,0,-20.1

HTH

Comment

Slightly more helpful

The Grasshopper, steak house, boozer, hash bar - all you need really

Well, it was good 8 years ago when I was there anyway!

Comment

Its all nice really, just have a wander about and enjoy.

Must say it's my favourite city, not for the obvious stuff (married, so not into the hooker thing but do like a schmoke), its just got a certain vibe to it that clicked with me. Red light is normally full of junkies and idiots who hassle you during the daytime so best at night.

I used to stay round Rembrantsplein and go to the coffeeshop called 'Smokey', dont know whether its still there though as not been over for a while. Canal trips sound very touristy but are great - means you see a lot of bits of the city that you wouldn't normally visit.

Comment

I'm sat in an internet cafe in Amsterdam as I type, and I can recommend the ''Wok and Walk'' chinese takeaway/eat in. Around 7 euros gives you a carton of noodles or rice with meat, and it tastes awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            Slightly more helpful

The Grasshopper, steak house, boozer, hash bar - all you need really

Well, it was good 8 years ago when I was there anyway!
            My hotel room looks out on the Grasshopper - how cool is that

Hookers just round the corner...

Comment

I do like the Jordan area of Amsterdam, really pretty there. Best hotel if you want to splash out is the Pullitzer in the same area. It's where Oceans 12 was filmed.

If you want to buy the wife something risque, look up a shop called Absolute Danny. I wont go into detail here!

And Schipol Airport is very nice, makes Heathrow look like Afghanistan.

I always seem to end up in this grand cafe for lunch when I go:

http://www.diningcity.nl/cafedejaren/
              Last edited by SantaClaus; 25 May 2009, 21:56.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                I'm sat in an internet cafe in Amsterdam as I type, and I can recommend the ''Wok and Walk'' chinese takeaway/eat in. Around 7 euros gives you a carton of noodles or rice with meat, and it tastes awesome.
                I remember that place from last time was there. The rest is pretty hazy Confirmed awesomeness

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  The Grasshopper, steak house, boozer, hash bar,...
                  e-coli, amoebic dyssentry, campylobacter, clostridium...

syphilis
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Posted by Santa Claus : Absolute Danny
                    Cheers for the advice. We're heading to Amster in August and this is now on the list of places to shop.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X