• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fit for purpose?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fit for purpose?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8066452.stm

It would appear that a number of members of our glorious leaders cabinet need assistance in completing a simple tax return.

Considering these people are at the heart of the decision making process which runs our country, and particularly as one of them is in charge of our countries finances:

Should we be concerned as to their competance or should we be relieved that they are smart enough to leave it to a professional?
    How is it that on a day to day basis they claim to be perfectly capable of the jobs they have yet clearly need advice with simple things?
    They also regularly tell us that they know best even when experts advise them otherwise, why would they need experts for this matter?
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

It would appear that a number of members of our glorious leaders cabinet need assistance in completing a simple tax return.
    Don't see anything wrong in leaving it to a professional - even for the chancellor. After all, he's used to dealing with the really big numbers.

What I do take exception to - is the fact they want us to pay for it - when virtually everyone else has to pay for it out of their own pocket - and often can't even offset it against tax.

Comment

What I take exception to is the continual justification of expenses by the assertion that it is done to make their life easier, and that doing so makes it easier for them to do their job properly, therefore it is a justifiable expense of their job.

A case of l'état c'est moi.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
        Don't see anything wrong in leaving it to a professional.
        I think I am with you on that one.
        even for the chancellor. After all, he's used to dealing with the really big numbers.
        Not so clear cut here. Do you really think a chap who can not do his own tax returns is capable of understanding the big numbers? How can he possibly understand the intricacies of a major economy if he cant understand the intricacies of the tax system.

There is also a Government mandate that states tax should not be too complicated. How does he balance that with the fact that he, the guy who is responsible for it, does not understand it.

What I do take exception to - is the fact they want us to pay for it - when virtually everyone else has to pay for it out of their own pocket - and often can't even offset it against tax.
        This is my major problem with MPs and their expenses. Why should they have any different needs to the rest of us? The only difference for me would be the 2 year rule.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Just because he doesn't do his taxes doesn't mean he doesn't know how to, he might just prefer to save his time for more useful things.

Just because he doesn't know how to do his taxes doesn't mean he can't learn, he might just prefer to save his time for more useful things

On the charging fees as an expense front - really who gives a stuff? As long as it's actually going to the accountant rather than them claiming £2000 and actually paying £500, I don't give a damn.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Considering these people are at the heart of the decision making process which runs our country, and particularly as one of them is in charge of our countries finances:

Should we be concerned as to their competance or should we be relieved that they are smart enough to leave it to a professional?
            How is it that on a day to day basis they claim to be perfectly capable of the jobs they have yet clearly need advice with simple things?
            They also regularly tell us that they know best even when experts advise them otherwise, why would they need experts for this matter?
            Given he doesn't write his own budget (senior civil servants do), why would he do his own tax return?
            I'm surprised you think politicians are more than a mouthpiece fronting up for senior civil servants. The only decisions politicians make is picking the policy that is presented to them.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

My accountant does my personal tax returns. It's all included in the price.

Comment

There is also a Government mandate that states tax should not be too complicated.

Sorry, LTG, wrong web site. This is Contractor UK.
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

The only people who ever benefit from complicated tax laws are accountants, tax lawyers and the people who can afford to hire them.

No complaints here.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                  X