• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's in an unfurnished flat ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's in an unfurnished flat ?

Landed a gig where I will need to rent. I found an unfurnished 1 bed flat (as advertised) and after viewing i did take it. Mostly it's OK but thought it might come with a few more furnishings - nets, blinds,cyrtains etc.

Is there any law that defines that as a minimum an unfurnished flat should contain....

I personally would expect to only have to bring clothes plus very few other things as per my last place. What would you expect in an unfurnished flat?

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    What would you expect in an unfurnished flat?

Milan.
    1. A strange smell
    2. Plenty of space
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      1. A strange smell
      2. Plenty of space

Comment

I'd expect it to be unfurnished, in the sense of containing no furnishings (defined as "furniture, fittings, and other decorative accessories, such as curtains and carpets, for a house or room").

The clue is in the wording

Comment

Things we've found in an 'unfurnished' house:
          • A gas cooker with a gas safety certificate yet the oven thermostat doesn't work so it just gets hotter and hotter...
          • clothes moths
          • 'soiled' tissues in what clearly had to have been a teenage boy's bedroom
          • overdue library books
          • a broken lamp (which we had to put back where we found it when we left)
          • a freezer that caught fire when plugged in
          • a bed that was alive (the letting agent threw it out the bedroom window!)
          • the curtain track. On the floor . "Feel free to put it up"
          • the very well-rotted remnants of the freezer contents
          • lots of tiny pieces of broken glass in a carpet
          • a loft completely full of flammable materials: paint, thinners, butane cylinders and boxes of paper and clothes
          • toast crumbs and cheese drips in EVERY grill in EVERY cooker
          • a complete absence of any light bulbs
          • a wet dog smell that wouldn't go away for months
          • a smell of wee that never went away (apparently that was the room the old woman eventually died in)
          • oh yes, that teenage boy's room: dirty magazines with some pictures torn out and pages that were stuck together
          • a single out-of-date bottle of lager "you can have that as a housewarming gift, ha, ha" said the landlord
          • a garage piled so high with all the crap the landlord and the previous tenants didn't want such that we couldn't get our crap in there
          • a barbecue grill on wheels that was completely rusted through (and on the inventory as "to be kept clean")
          • a bunch of keys that open none of the locks in or on the property
          • one blocked sink (is that an EU requirement? It seems to be a standard feature)
          • some bare wires poking out of a hole in a bedroom wall ... live and connected to the cooker circuit
          • a live double wall socket with the front cover broken off
          • an infestation of flies that never ends despite how many 1000s you kill (that's in the loft in the current gaff)
          • a vacuum cleaner that doesn't
          • a lawn mower that doesn't
          • leaking taps
          • no stopcock, anywhere
          • a pale coloured carpet (potentially pre-stained) (to ensure you don't get your deposit back)
          • a boiler that produces small quantities of tepid water but vast amounts of banging and gurgling
          • a shower curtain with more life forms than Longleat
          • a hairy toilet (especially if there have been students resident)
          • wobbly toilet seat(s) (another EU requirement)
          • the dirtiest bin in the neighbourhood (they play swapsies, you know, to get cleaner ones)
          • huge quantities of junk mail for previous residents
          • at least one utility chasing a red bill
          • in one instance, a Police visit at 6 a.m. on Sunday morning (the previous occupant had been naughty)
          • the TV licencing bastards making your life a misery
          • all the voting cards you could ever wish for
          • lots of dead flies on the windowsills
          • peeling wallpaper
          • a solitary kitchen utensil in a drawer that has enough rotted foodstuff on it to qualify as a Peperami
          The precise contents may vary: check the inventory.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I personally would expect to only have to bring clothes plus very few other things as per my last place. What would you expect in an unfurnished flat?

Milan.
            EH? Are you confusing furnished and unfurnished?

There is no legal definition

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/FAQ/in...=21&artlang=en

Comment

Milan.
              The Spanish Inquisition. Nobody expects them!!
              Apart from that, I would expect it to be unfurnished.

HTH
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                snip
                This is why I don't rent.
                Mind you a lot of the hotels I've stayed in have been pretty disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                  • a barbecue grill on wheels that was completely rusted through (and on the inventory as "to be kept clean")
                  For some reason, that's the one that made me laugh out loud

I still think it would have been quite amusing if the letting agent had brought somebody round to the flat downstairs from me and found that cannabis farm in there - I bet they'd have whipped out the inventory and added "six plastic watering cans (large)" to it straightaway

The Police left them behind, together with large numbers of seed trays; I did think of contacting the local allotment association to see if there were any takers, but the landlord skipped them

Comment

Spiders
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X