• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Big O notation.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big O notation.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I'm really struggling to learn it - I dont know if it's cause I dont have a maths background or what...but it's making my eyes bleed.

All I've got to do is use it to classify addition....and I just can't get my head round it at all!!!!

The pope is a tard.

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post

I'm really struggling to learn it - I dont know if it's cause I dont have a maths background or what...but it's making my eyes bleed.

All I've got to do is use it to classify addition....and I just can't get my head round it at all!!!!

Sod that. What did you end up doing over the weekend Sally ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I thought the thread was going to be something about orgasms
        Originally posted by cailin maith
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
          I thought the thread was going to be something about orgasms
          Roy Orbison
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
            Sorry - was that me trying to talk about something relating to computing again?

What a nob I am - when will I learn?!!

The pope is a tard.

Comment

In CS It's often used as a measure of how long a function will takes to compute. The stuff inside the O representing the highest (most significant) order term in an equation that describes how long a function would take to run given a size of input n. In some case a function would run in constant time irrespective of the size of n and other cases would become much slower to run as the size of n increases. You often need to know.

E.g. Some examples from quickest to slowest:
              Constant time: O(1)
              Searching an already sorted list: O(n log n)
              Linear time (e.g. searching an unordered list): O(n)
              Quadratic time (some slow sorts) : O(n^2)
              Exponential time: O(n!)
              etc

Addition would be O(n) because the the problem only gets slower in direct proportion to the number of bits/bytes being added, and multiplication could be as high as O(n^2). The latter (quadratic time) not being too bad, at least compared to exponential functions, but not as fast as linear or constant time algorithms.

Comment

I think what you need Sal is all explained in "The story of O"
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Sorry - was that me trying to talk about something relating to computing again?

What a nob I am - when will I learn?!!

SA, what is this obsession with anything that is big?
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

There's a Wikipedia article here.

Writing f(x) = O(log(x)) for example just means that for sufficiently large x, |f(x)| is less than C.log(x) for some constant C.

Likewise, if f(x) is a polynomial, say x^n + .. + x + 5 then f(x) = O(x^n), because for sufficiently large x the leading term (with the highest power) dominates all the others however large their coefficients, and this argument can easily be formalized:

|a_n.x^n + .. + a_1.x + a_0| <=

<= |a_n.x^n| + .. + |a_1.x| + |a_0|

<= |a.x^n| + .. + |a.x| + |a| where |a| = max(|a_i|)

= |a| . (|x^n| + .. + |x| + 1)

<= |a| . (|x^n| + .. + |x^n| + |x^n|)

= (n+1) . |a| . |x^n|

So the constant C can be taken as (n + 1).|a|
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X