• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC transfer question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC transfer question

I have SC clearance which sponsored by Client A. I left there, worked elsewhere for 6 months and then went to a new role at Client B which requires SC.

If I then leave Client B will I have a further 12 months before it lapses or do I need to have the clearance transferred to Client B before I finish?

Thanks

In theory it should be reset so you have a further 12 months but if they don't transfer it I don't know how they record the fact that you've been using it?

I'm in the exact same boat, left an SC role in November, took non SC role, now using SC again but as far as I know it hasn't been transferred?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

To both you guys....

I've been in similar circumstances over the years. What you do is get your non-SC client to sponsor you even if SC is not required for the job. I've done it a couple of times now. Most clients are happy to oblige if you explain why, protecting your interests.
      Last edited by scooterscot; 26 May 2009, 12:38.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        What you do is get your non-SC client to sponsor you even if SC is not required for the job.
        Right, so you ask a non HMG/List-X client to transfer your clearance to them for a role that doesn't require SC? If you say so

I've resolved mine anyway now, found a contact for the security/vetting dept at my current client and they've helpfully said they'll get the transfer process started.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
          Right, so you ask a non HMG/List-X client to transfer your clearance to them for a role that doesn't require SC? If you say so
          Obviously not. [You could get a job in the home office, you'll go far]

First off I don't know what a HMG/List-x company is. Any company can hold clearance for you as long as they are working on a government project that requires staff to be vetted.

What you often find is a non-sc job will still have projects (that you'll have nothing to do with) that require them to have staff vetted. Therefore they can sponsor you even though it is not required for your job.
          Last edited by scooterscot; 26 May 2009, 21:31.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Obviously not. [You could get a job in the home office, you'll go far]

First off I don't know what a HMG/List-x company is. Any company can hold clearance for you as long as they are working on a government project that requires staff to be vetted.

What you often find is a non-sc job will still have projects (that you'll have nothing to do with) that require them to have staff vetted. Therefore they can sponsor you even though it is not required for your job.
            Only government departments and list-x companies can hold security clearance, other companies can sponsor you but they will have to rely on their list-x client to hold it.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              Only government departments and list-x companies can hold security clearance, other companies can sponsor you but they will have to rely on their list-x client to hold it.
              That's my understanding of the rules too.

Comment

First off I don't know what a HMG/List-x company is
                HMG = Her Majesty's Government
                List-X = A commercial company approved to work with HMG protectively marked material.

Comment

Working...
                X