• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I *knew* it - Most don't know difference between concurrent and consecutiv

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I *knew* it - Most don't know difference between concurrent and consecutiv

Just had the Weakest Link on in the background, and one contestant was asked "what 'C' is several prison sentences served simultaneously", and the daft cow answered "consecutive".

I'm sure she isn't the only one confused, and have long suspected that actually the vast majority of people are hazy about the distinction, and the Government relies on this woeful ignorance to con people that the justice system is stricter than it is (to save money on prison places).

On the off-chance that anyone reading this isn't sure either (very unlikely, but you never know):

"Concurrent" (adj) Commit ten murders and get the same sentence as for one; what the British justice system uses.

"Consecutive" (adj) Serve full sentence for each conviction, and then start on the next sentence for the next, and so on; what the US justice system uses.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Just had the Weakest Link on in the background, and one contestant was asked "what 'C' is several prison sentences served simultaneously", and the daft cow answered "consecutive".

I'm sure she isn't the only one confused, and have long suspected that actually the vast majority of people are hazy about the distinction, and the Government relies on this woeful ignorance to con people that the justice system is stricter than it is (to save money on prison places).

On the off-chance that anyone reading this isn't sure either (very unlikely, but you never know):

"Concurrent" (adj) Commit ten murders and get the same sentence as for one; what the British justice system uses.

"Consecutive" (adj) Serve full sentence for each conviction, and then start on the next sentence for the next, and so on; what the US justice system uses.
    I do
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
      I do
      WTGPS.

Comment

It's hardly the most ignorant thing ever said on The Weakest Link
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Difference between series and parallel. Several girlfriends in series, cool. Several girlfriends in parallel, could get difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            Several girlfriends in parallel, could get difficult.
            Okay as long as they never meet. Which being parallel, they won't.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Extrapolating a single answer in a manky quiz show is hardly a rigorous statistical study. Sentencing is done by Judges not the government.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Okay as long as they never meet. Which being parallel, they won't.

Have one ampere point.
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Not correct. People are sometimes given sentences by English courts that are to run consecutively, although concurrent sentences are more common.

Comment

Webster's implies that infer is an acceptable definition of imply.

Comment

Working...
                    X