• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"We'll pay it back"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We'll pay it back"

All the politicians caught with their hand in the till seem to come out with this line like that will make it all alright.
    Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I tried that would I not be hit with tax bill, additional tax fine, a day in court, possible sentence & criminal record?
    I mean it's a nice deal - perhaps if I don't ever pay any tax and just wait for the revenue to perhaps "remind" me one day - would that be OK too?
    Bored.

What if the people already serving prison sentences offered to pay "it" back, if possible of course.

Would they be let out?

Don't think so.

Comment

On the other hand, finding tens of thousands of pounds to pay back is not easy. And remember they have in most cases not broken any law... except for a few piss-takers most of the public outcry is more about jealousy than fraud.

Does anyone know what time-frame they're paying things back over? Weeks, months, years?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Does anyone know what time-frame they're paying things back over? Weeks, months, years?
        I've wondered the same thing - I wonder whether it'll come from a seperate loan "pot" that they'll all have immediate and interest free access to
        The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
          What if the people already serving prison sentences offered to pay "it" back, if possible of course.

Would they be let out?

Don't think so.
          There is a bit of a difference in most MPs expense claims though.
          Most MPs were claiming in order with the rules.
          I do think there is scope for criminal proceedings and/or HMRC proceedings against some of them.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

On the other hand, finding tens of thousands of pounds to pay back is not easy. And remember they have in most cases not broken any law... except for a few piss-takers most of the public outcry is more about jealousy than fraud.

Claiming enough travel expenses to travel twice around the globe when your constituency is about ten miles from Westminster seems pretty fraudulent to me !! Most of the current cabinet should already have been sacked.

Comment

I've heard on the news grapevine that the HMRC will be investigating whether their claims for tax returns were legal....

I did laugh at the "Alistair Darling said that he paid for the accountant to check whether he was paying the correct amount of tax".

Yes, same as the rest of us.

Comment

I'm actually quite comfortable with the claims for mortgage interest payment, furniture, food etc. I've seen consultants claim these over the years when working away from home; I'm sure the bill may have been higher if the MPs concerned had stayed each week at hotels in central London...

There are cases however where they've taken the urine - "flipping", moats, duck houses etc. In these cases I'd like to see the police investigate, if the claims could be seen as fraudulent.
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

As far as tax deductable expenses for personal tax advice is concerned, this is not an allowable deduction & for caught MPs to just pay it back is not good enough. HMRC should as aceOO says above, impose a penalty and interest from each time the tax should have been paid. Same goes for the capital gains tax re Hazel Blears & co - penalty and interest.

Interesting to note that Blears once caught, paid HMRC the capital gains tax (less the penalty & interest she'd expect anyone else to be subjected).But she's still keeping the nett profit. The Green book does stipulate an MP must not profit from their expenses. Blears has for starters and a good few more.

Any MP who's paid tax on the expenses clearly has broken the rules simply because they profitted from the expense. If they didn't profit there wouldn't be tax to pay. Benefits in kind are suppose to be reflected in their tax code.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate View Post
                    As far as tax deductable expenses for personal tax advice is concerned, this is not an allowable deduction & for caught MPs to just pay it back is not good enough. HMRC should as aceOO says above, impose a penalty and interest from each time the tax should have been paid. Same goes for the capital gains tax re Hazel Blears & co - penalty and interest.

Interesting to note that Blears once caught, paid HMRC the capital gains tax (less the penalty & interest she'd expect anyone else to be subjected).But she's still keeping the nett profit. The Green book does stipulate an MP must not profit from their expenses. Blears has for starters and a good few more.

Any MP who's paid tax on the expenses clearly has broken the rules simply because they profitted from the expense. If they didn't profit there wouldn't be tax to pay. Benefits in kind are suppose to be reflected in their tax code.

Yeah well the opposition are not making these points, for obvious reasons. So thank God for the free press and the bloggers, the true HM Opposition

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X