• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tubbyism in the Workplace

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tubbyism in the Workplace

Any fatties out there care to comment?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4373746.stm

Overweight workers find it harder to get jobs than their slim counterparts, an online survey suggests.
    The magazine survey of 2,000 personnel officers found most preferred to offer jobs to workers of a "normal weight".

Half of those polled by Personnel Today thought obesity affected productivity. A similar number believed overweight people lacked self-discipline.

The magazine's editor Karen Dempsey said it suggested hidden discrimination and overweight people were missing out.

She said: "To date, obesity has not been given the same recognition as sex, age, disabilities and race discrimination.

"But as our survey shows, overweight workers are being marginalised and given fewer opportunities than their slimmer counterparts."

The survey also found that one in 10 personnel officers would not want an overweight employee to meet a client. The same percentage believed they could sack a worker for being obese.

Ms Dempsey added that a "clearer definition of obesity" was needed to help businesses understand how it "truly affects" workplace performance.

Health concerns

Ben Willmott, from the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, told BBC News most employers choose people on the basis of ability, but added that weight is a "small aspect" which some employers take into account.

"When employers make a decision to employ someone, they want to bring someone on board who is going to be a productive and engaged individual," he said, explaining that some employers may have health concerns about overweight candidates.

But Mr Willmott added: "I think most employers treat people as individuals and recruit them on their ability to do the job rather than how much they weigh."

Meanwhile, Daniel Thomas, Personnel Today deputy editor, said there was little protection for overweight employees.

Mr Thomas said: "There's no such thing as fattism yet.....but if an obese person can prove they're actually disabled - so for example they've got dyslexia or they're depressed - then they can take that to an employment
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

WTF.

How can anyone relate fatism to racism or sexism. We fatties have a choice!

I find this ism stuff to be self defeating in the first place.
    The best way for women or ethnics to avoid discrimination is to do a better job.

If you owned a business and you had a choice between someone with a proven track record of delivering on time on budget or had a reputation for making money would you turn them down because they were female/black/fat?
    If you had a manager who sent that person to your largest competition would you keep them on?

Business is business leave your prejudice at home.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

That's probably the reason for Arkwrights "truncated" contracts, and explains why he had to set up his chain of tat shops.

He's never shy when it comes to a pie...
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

What about a big porker of a salesman stuck in his BMW all day eating Burger King from the services? Would you put him and his sweaty pits in front of a prospect happily?

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
          What about a big porker of a salesman stuck in his BMW all day eating Burger King from the services? Would you put him and his sweaty pits in front of a prospect happily?

If he closes the deal day in day out then yes.
          I would employ Mr Creosote if he made the grade.
          Its all about competative advantage.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

What about a big porker of a salesman stuck in his BMW all day eating Burger King from the services?
            Keeps me in business.
            Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

The magazine survey of 2,000 personnel officers
              No need to go any further ... there's the problem straight away.

What about a big porker of a salesman stuck in his BMW all day eating Burger King from the services?
              But if he makes just one sale a day or week - that is an infinitely more valuable contribution to the business than any personnel officer could even dream of making.
              Last edited by BobTheCrate; 25 October 2005, 12:39.

Comment

I like the patronising line "Ms Dempsey added that a "clearer definition of obesity" was needed to help businesses understand how it "truly affects" workplace performance.
                "

I think Mr Dempsey will find that businesses understand exactly how it affects workplace performance and that's why they've had to take action in some circumstances.

Rebecca "you can't be a fat DBA and be expected to slim down databases" Loos
                Chico, what time is it?

Comment

weight is a "small aspect" which some employers take into account.
                  A "large aspect", surely?

Lucifer in "fond of a pie himself" mode.

Comment

I don't see this as an issue. My experience in the public sector has shown that there are more than enough opportunities for gravity challenged individuals.

Comment

Working...
                    X