• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jobserve looking dead - Wonder what events clients are awaiting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobserve looking dead - Wonder what events clients are awaiting

Obviously clients have bunkered down generally, but any ideas on whether they are awaiting any specific news items or events, to trigger project starts and increased activity? The June elections maybe? Or Gordon Brown calling an election? A massive gold field found in the Cotswolds?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Most are waiting to call in the administrators.

Should be fine in 10 or 15 years time.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Obviously clients have bunkered down generally, but any ideas on whether they are awaiting any specific news items or events, to trigger project starts and increased activity? The June elections maybe? Or Gordon Brown calling an election? A massive gold field found in the Cotswolds?
      None really, the new financial year in April saw a much smaller surge than usual. I suspect that it's down to very limited budgets and clients waiting for the recession to peter out, they are only spending on mission critical and regulatory requirement type projects.

Comment

They're waiting until most of the benched UK contractors have gone bankrupt/retired/topped themselves. Then they can advertise jobs, not get any decent applicants and thus bring in "plenty cheapness" imports, to fill the "skills gap".
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I've never seen Jobserve so bad in my skills area. Then I just heard on the radio that mortgage lending was the lowest in 8 years in April. Not any chance of green shoots until we see the back of Brown and Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
            I've never seen Jobserve so bad in my skills area. Then I just heard on the radio that mortgage lending was the lowest in 8 years in April. Not any chance of green shoots until we see the back of Brown and Co.
            Not that it helps many here, but the motor industry is showing signs of green shoots. The BMW factory close by me has already stated it expects an upturn in June. They've now announced they're taking on agency production staff again (after laying them all off in December). Going to be a long haul I suspect though...
            Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
              Not that it helps many here, but the motor industry is showing signs of green shoots. The BMW factory close by me has already stated it expects an upturn in June. They've now announced they're taking on agency production staff again (after laying them all off in December). Going to be a long haul I suspect though...

These are probably because of the subsidies being given to German car makers by the German government for new car buyers and the favourable conditions for exports because of the 'low' pound. Not every area is getting this temporary boost unfortunately, so this isn't really evidence of green shoots IMO.

Comment

They’re waiting for all the whingers and whiners to stop discouraging everyone every time someone comes out with a little bit of good news, because then perhaps people will stop hoarding their money in savings accounts and go out and spend it.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  They’re waiting for all the whingers and whiners to stop discouraging everyone every time someone comes out with a little bit of good news, because then perhaps people will stop hoarding their money in savings accounts and go out and spend it.
                  Fook off, I'll never make my 2nd million spending it.

Comment

We will all be millionaires soon. We will have literally wheelbarrows of money.

Comment

Working...
                    X