• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HousePriceCrash.cuk - IT is doomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HousePriceCrash.cuk - IT is doomed

I see that most of you already post there.

Check out this thread for example. Which starts out innocuously enough, with informed comment relating to IR35, outsourcing, fast track visas and the inner workings of C#. I don't know how big that thread gets as I haven't reached all the way to the end, but I fully expect to see working code and a system implemented before it is outsourced.

It's almost as if they think IT is more doomed than the housing market.

Do you mean there are other forums, where they have informed discussions about IT contracting?
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Second poster is correct. I've got a client, very very high tech, and the girl doing the man-machine interface couldn't get her laptop and extra screen to run double headed.

She didn't even know where to start, FFS.

Neither did the guys doing the system admin job!

Someone saw my machine was doing it, so they asked me to sort it out for her.

Yes, when I were a lad, people in this game knew the difference between a bit and a byte...
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

The IT boom really finished around 2000. These days they're all kitchen fitters not artisans!

They really should rename that site Schadenfreude.co.uk

Imagine a whole forum of AtWs, only worse.

Comment

Interesting that over there all the comments are sensible and mature. No trolls, no nonsense.

I wish cuk was more like that.

Comment

I knew this would happen in 2007 that's one reason for getting out & retraining. The other reason is that most of the people I met whilst in IT were tw4ts. It seems to go with the turf.
            This chap is quite perceptive, he must have met some of you lot.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              Yes, when I were a lad, people in this game knew the difference between a bit and a byte...
              What there is a difference? I thought it was just how people pronounced it.

Note to self: Go back and divide by 8 on all previous projects
              Originally posted by cailin maith
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                If you want to hire a capable programmer, hire someone who started programming either at home when they were child or using punch cards. If you hire an IT grad, expect to waste a lot of money
                At last, some common sense.

(It so happens I started with punched cards. )
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

linky wont work for me

Perhaps I should retrain as a hairdresser
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

If anyone wants to know about proper programming, from back in the day, I could give them a few pointers.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X