• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting a US SIM card?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a US SIM card?

We're travelling to the US in a few days, and O2 would make us pay about £1/min to make/receive calls.
    Previously I've used GoSIM/Jolt which is a SIM you can buy here and use for cheaper calls. But I wondered about getting a real US Sim once we arrive, if that would be cheaper and easy... anyone got any recommendations?

By the way, it's no problem for me to order it online and have it delivered to a US hotel etc, I'm thinking purely about cost of getting a SIM in the US Vs UK
    Last edited by d000hg; 28 May 2009, 08:29.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

When I was there at xmas we just picked up a phone for about 30 usd from the drug store. this included 20usd of prepaid talktime credit too.

OK, so the phone was naff, but it did the job while we were there.
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      We're travelling to the US in a few days, and O2 would make us pay about £1/min to make/receive calls.
      Previously I've used GoSIM/Jolt which is a SIM you can buy here and use for cheaper calls. But I wondered about getting a real US Sim once we arrive, if that would be cheaper and easy... anyone got any recommendations?

By the way, it's no problem for me to order it online and have it delivered to a US hotel etc, I'm thinking purely about cost of getting a SIM in the US Vs UK
      IIRC, you can buy a SIM at the airport when you get there. Check your point of entry though.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

A bit of a google and I found this....http://www.0044.co.uk/america.htm
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Is your phone a triband? they have a different GSM over there.
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

you can get $30 phones from Best Buy, T-mobile shops etc.

*remember* - it costs to recieve a call - so you burn PAYG credit fast.

Comment

Vodafone are abolishing roaming charges on registration for most of the summer. If the US is among the destinations a Voda PARG might be an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                Vodafone are abolishing roaming charges on registration for most of the summer.
                In Europe. Because the EU will be stopping them from being horrific soon anyway.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                X