• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jobstats graph, May worse than 2001

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobstats graph, May worse than 2001

Just thought I'd drop in on jobstats. The average salaries are still quite high, and the graph for number of jobs posted has dropped to zero for May.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I'm not worried. Gordon will lead us to the promised land.

Comment

I was benched for a total of 15 months during 2001/2 and knew two people who were literally working for the train fare.

So far I've found this time to be better and worse in different respects. I've found there are virtually no opportunities. I've been on the bench for just over 5 months. In that time I've (allegedly) gone forward for 6 roles (4 perm, 2 contract) and not had so much as a telephone interview. That said I've found that rates/salaries have held up much better this time - at least for now.

HeadOfTesting.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I'm not worried. Gordon will lead us to the promised land.
        That would be Gorden the Gopher I presume...
        I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
        CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Just thought I'd drop in on jobstats. The average salaries are still quite high, and the graph for number of jobs posted has dropped to zero for May.
          Maybe I'm missing the blindingly obvious but how come all the average salaries are like £120k+

I'm pretty sure that's not correct or contractor UK wouldn't exist!
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I've never liked jobstats for that reason. I think it is totally flawed. It is usefull to see the number of job postings but the salary part is a pile of monkey toss imho
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              That's pretty much my impression, based on jobserve searches in the last week or two

Day after day, day after day,
              We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
              As idle as a painted ship
              Upon a painted ocean.

I've applied for a contract that's a perfect match for my skills, including one or two quite obscure ones. There can't be more than a handful of available people in the country with all of them.

But I suspect I'll be turned down because there wasn't a "y" in my birth month, or someone else has 7 years 3 months' perl instead of my mere 7 years'.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                That's pretty much my impression, based on jobserve searches in the last week or two

Day after day, day after day,
                We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
                As idle as a painted ship
                Upon a painted ocean.

I've applied for a contract that's a perfect match for my skills, including one or two quite obscure ones. There can't be more than a handful of available people in the country with all of them.

But I suspect I'll be turned down because there wasn't a "y" in my birth month, or someone else has 7 years 3 months' perl instead of my mere 7 years'.
                I thought what people were saying is that the difference between this economic downturn, and the last is that more companies depend on IT.

I can understand there being less work, but BAU and legislation driven work doth continue shirley?

Comment

JobStats has gone down the pan with the new site, but it has always been good at indicating trends. The fact that job postings have (apparently) reached zero is indicative of many things, not least that the market has died on its arse.

Many many jobs on Jobserve are fake, and if these disappear as agencies go bust it is no loss.

The real question is whether this recession is worse (for IT) than the 2001 recession. I don't think it is.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                    JobStats has gone down the pan with the new site, but it has always been good at indicating trends. The fact that job postings have (apparently) reached zero is indicative of many things, not least that the market has died on its arse.

Many many jobs on Jobserve are fake, and if these disappear as agencies go bust it is no loss.

The real question is whether this recession is worse (for IT) than the 2001 recession. I don't think it is.
                    Ok sure, so no firm needs any IT work. I find that hard to believe.

Comment

Working...
                    X