• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developer required to write simple webapp to replace Job Centre

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developer required to write simple webapp to replace Job Centre

I'm appalled by how little this public service performs.

I have been using it for roughly 2 months now, and I'm starting to wonder why we throw money into an archaic and inefficient service.

I turn up on time.
    I then wait 45mins in an uncomfortable room with 5:1 people to waiting room chairs.
    I'm eventually called, I sit down, and sign on the dotted line.
    Then I'm simply told "Thats it, Bye now!"

Shouldn't they be showing an interest? Ask me how its going, offer me further services, or actually read my JSA diary? And what about apologising for keeping me waiting?

From what I can see, my local JC employs around 100 people spread over 3 storeys. The 'clerks' (?) just collect a stack of JSA booklets and call out names, bring up your details, click a box. Done! easy as 1-2-3.

Why on earth can't that be replaced with a website? That would be a very simple project; it would save us £millions; and it would free up more of my time to actually find work.

I believe that JC could be cut down to a small room with maybe 2 humans (so if you really need to speak with someone you can). A few more crappy EDS 'job points' for those without internet access at home. Everyone else in the real world with a PC can just do it all online, including the diary bit which also checks you've filled it out correctly.

Seriously, I'm looking at the people working there thinking "so I'M the one who is redundant, hey?"

Thoughts? Am I on to something, or just sour?

just sour.
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

If they replaced the 1000's of JC staff with a website, all the JC staff would be on the dole and the queue would be even longer.

Better to employ you all in the JC. You could each press one key on the computer in turn.

Comment

I think you're supposed to use the time waiting looking at jobs on those machines?

Surprised they don't do anything to check you're looking for work though, when I was briefly signed on they made a token attempt to chat to me about it at least.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'd make those on the dole sign on every day - that way it would help cut down on those who are working on the side. Then we could afford to give those looking expenses to help them sign on each day.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            I'm appalled by how little this public service performs.
            I found it varied round the country.

I turn up on time.
            I then wait 45mins in an uncomfortable room with 5:1 people to waiting room chairs.
            Agreed. Shite.

I'm eventually called, I sit down, and sign on the dotted line.
            Then I'm simply told "Thats it, Bye now!"
            Indeed, a waste of tax money ... seemingly.

Could you hold down a permie job and still go through this routine? Unlikely. Some Job Centres seem to think that is all their role entails: make it too inconvenient to sign on and hold down a job.

They also seem to think you have nothing to do all day.

Shouldn't they be showing an interest? Ask me how its going, offer me further services, or actually read my JSA diary
            I found that last one the most helpful. It made me feel someone was showing an interest in the effort I had made in the previous two weeks. It was the highlight on my fortnight: "You have been busy again I see."

And what about apologising for keeping me waiting?
            Yes. They should. So should the doctor but they don't either.

Seriously, I'm looking at the people working there thinking "so I'M the one who is redundant, hey?"

Thoughts? Am I on to something, or just sour?
            When I started contracting in the Civil Service I was initially appalled. Eventually it dawned on me that many of these people would themselves be on the dole if the Civil Service did not employ them. So why not employ them in menial tasks instead and keep them off the streets and too busy to breed too much? But, those particular numpties should not be in the customer facing roles.

Turning your question around:

Imagine you work in a Job Centre. Many of the people you see are lying, bone-idle, offensive, smug toerags that haven't worked for years and never will. The others are intelligent, struggling, depressed and not finding work. Your career prospects are tiny. Your management are rubbish and you work for the government. The office is small and tatty.

How do you maintain your morale and provide a good service?
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
              Imagine you work in a Job Centre. Many of the people you see are lying, bone-idle, offensive, smug toerags that haven't worked for years and never will. The others are intelligent, struggling, depressed and not finding work. Your career prospects are tiny. Your management are rubbish and you work for the government. The office is small and tatty.

How do you maintain your morale and provide a good service?
              Booze?
              Drugs?
              Or ?

Comment

Why on earth can't that be replaced with a website?
                Reasons they make you turn up is because they want to verify
                • You really exist
                • You are in the country/Area
                • You are most likely not in work on the sly (last one is most pointless in today 24 hour society)

As to them showing an interest, if you were in their shoes seeing 100's per day, most no hope'rs who if they found a job would run run a mile or people wanting to work but so those down in their luck that they are probably facing losing their house, partners so forth?

Comment

The 'clerks' (?) just collect a stack of JSA booklets and call out names, bring up your details, click a box. Done! easy as 1-2-3.

Why on earth can't that be replaced with a website?
                  trained gibbons
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

for(int weeks = 0; weeks < 2; weeks++)
                    {
                    if(!work.Paid && !work.Unpaid)
                    {
                    dole.pay();
                    }
                    }

hth
                    tl

Comment

Working...