• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you miss England?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you miss England?

Someone just asked me if I miss England. Difficult one really, seeing as I have the feeling that the England I miss doesn’t really exist. I miss seeing good-soon-to-be-great bands in a pub or a club. I miss the English countryside, friendly pubs with good food, people battling on through life with humour and good cheer, going to the rugby and watching a first class game, having a pint or two and a bacon sandwich for under a tenner, a feeling of real freedom (what happened to that?) and well-mannered people. The Lake District, the Malvern Hills and so on.

Yes, I miss that kind of thing, but what would I find if I returned? On my last visit I got the impression that people have become more and more hurried and bad tempered, you can’t pick your nose without being entered into some government snot flickers database and taxed for it, rugby ‘clubs’ have become impersonal corporate entities with high ticket prices and stupid yankee names like ‘Sharks’, 'Warriors' and ‘Titans’ and the whole place seems to be full of authoritarian jobsworths with no care for the concept of liberty.

What good things are left for me to miss?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

I miss England - mainly because

1 - my wife and kids live there
    2 - it's not Geneva
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Well the countryside is still there, and thousands of tiny towns or villages scattered amongst it. You can still find good pubs, although more and more are chain-owned.
      As for big towns and government, I don't have much experience there. But liivng in Durham City as I do, I can tell you there's at least one beautiful town left.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Only when we get kicked out of the world cup in round 1..

What good things are left for me to miss?
        1966..that's about it. Nothing to see here, move along please.
        Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Well the countryside is still there, and thousands of tiny towns or villages scattered amongst it. You can still find good pubs, although more and more are chain-owned.
          As for big towns and government, I don't have much experience there. But liivng in Durham City as I do, I can tell you there's at least one beautiful town left.
          In the village I live in there used to be a few pubs where you could get good food. All of them now are microwave jobs where they reheat stuff.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Ah! Durham; a fine city indeed. I think it's a bit sad that so many pubs are chain-owned. They seem to become standardised and offer the same beer and food from Penzance to Newcastle. If I'm walking in the dales I don't really fancy eating Thai chicken with rice; somehow I'd prefer roast lamb.

Perhaps the North-East has a strong enough regional culture to stay somehow different.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              the English countryside, friendly pubs with good food, people battling on through life with humour and good cheer, going to the rugby and watching a first class game, having a pint or two and a bacon sandwich for under a tenner, a feeling of real freedom
              It can still be found - I live there, or close by.

Comment

In spite of the moaning on this board, life is still good, in spite of Labour's best efforts. If you live in a nicer suburb of London, you can enjoy good pubs, a range of restaurants with cuisine from around the world, summer in the best parks in the world (or your garden), the British Museum (which will take you weeks to explore all its treasures), the National Gallery, music festivals of whatever typeand level of grunginess you want etc etc.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

England's just not gezellig these days.
                  Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    In spite of the moaning on this board, life is still good, in spite of Labour's best efforts. If you live in a nicer suburb of London, you can enjoy good pubs, a range of restaurants with cuisine from around the world, summer in the best parks in the world (or your garden), the British Museum (which will take you weeks to explore all its treasures), the National Gallery, music festivals of whatever typeand level of grunginess you want etc etc.
                    All for £4.99 too!

Lets all move to the nice parts of London!

Comment

Working...
                    X