• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

For those thinking of going permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those thinking of going permie

I wouldn't knock it, the way things are at present, but a word of warning ..

An agent just phoned me to say that a client who interviewed me three months ago, and at the time chose someone else, would now like me for a similar contract role.

Anyway, I said I'd be interested but am waiting to hear back from a couple of permie interviews (with quite good salaries, c £60K) and mentioned that security/continuity is becoming more important than contract rate if clients are booting people out after three months and then one hardly avoid a gap before the next contract (if any!).

Not sure if it was scare tactics on his part, or a deliberate tactic by companies, but he replied that companies are increasingly taking on ex-contractors as permies, and then finding some pretext to let them go after three months anyway when they have satisfactorily completed some task!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

An agent just phoned me to say that a client who interviewed me three months ago, and at the time chose someone else, would now like me for a similar contract role.

Anyway, I said I'd be interested but am waiting to hear back from a couple of permie interviews (with quite good salaries, c £60K) and mentioned that security/continuity is becoming more important than contract rate if clients are booting people out after three months and then one hardly avoid a gap before the next contract (if any!).

Not sure if it was scare tactics on his part, or a deliberate tactic by companies, but he replied that companies are increasingly taking on ex-contractors as permies, and then finding some pretext to let them go after three months anyway when they have satisfactorily completed some task!
    They have up to a year to do that as you have **** all rights until you have been there a year. I was once dumped 3 weeks before the year was up as a permie.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Is this like the opposite of IR35?
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Work wonders for staff morale will that one ...

Anyway, I'll take what an agent says with a pinch of salts vis-a-vis his take on things if he sniffs a chance of getting commission out of you. I've heard them come out with all manner of sh!te to try to get you hooked.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Try and avoid taking holidays in your first 11 months. Then, if they do get rid, you've accrued a pay-off of sorts.

Just been approached regarding a 3 month contract in central London. Top rate £125 a day. May as well jump off that cliff now...
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
            Try and avoid taking holidays in your first 11 months. Then, if they do get rid, you've accrued a pay-off of sorts.

Just been approached regarding a 3 month contract in central London. Top rate £125 a day. May as well jump off that cliff now...
            I pay our childminder/nanny £80 a day.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              What for?
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                What for?
                Childminding/Nanny duties for the children.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  FFS Be careful or you'll re-ignite the wrath of SallyAnne and kick off yesterdays nursery debate again ...
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                    FFS Be careful or you'll re-ignite the wrath of SallyAnne and kick off yesterdays nursery debate again ...
                    Come on SA if you think you're hard enough!

Comment

Working...
                    X