• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

the job downturn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the job downturn

I learned a while ago that there were periodic downturns and contractors shoukd expect them. But now ISTM that they are coming faster and more often, and lasting longer. We just got out of the last one and here's another bigger one. Next one expected 2011-2012 (there is a downturn in xxx1-xxx2 of every decade). Where's the good bits in between?

I may have mentioned 3 months on the bench and not a single peep at a contract. My partner commented the other night, "I wonder if your career might have reached its end?". For the first time, I am not sure that I would mind any more.

DOOMED!

Comment

To add to that. How will people be able to plan for life's expensive long term commitments in future, such as bringing up a family and taking on a big mortgage, if their careers are to become so unpredictable? (Unless they suck on the states teet of course, e.g. a GP or a teacher).

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        I may have mentioned 3 months on the bench and not a single peep at a contract. My partner commented the other night, "I wonder if your career might have reached its end?". For the first time, I am not sure that I would mind any more.
        Its fine it you can afford to retire, the way things are going I'm not sure I will ever be able to afford to get to that point.
        This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          To add to that. How will people be able to plan for life's expensive long term commitments in future, such as bringing up a family and taking on a big mortgage, if their careers are to become so unpredictable? (Unless they suck on the states teet of course, e.g. a GP or a teacher).
          We'll all work for the Public Sector. Job for life, bumper pension pot and index linked pay rises.

Sorted 'innit?

Comment

My business model:

1. get 6 months at £60 a week.

2. spend your savings

3. become long-term doley

4. dodge menial jobs (feign back injury or some such)

5. 68 yet? if not goto 4

6. retire on nowt (if not drunk into early grave)

Comment

For those of you using the new technology known as the Interweb, I have put up a message for you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QapZI2cLQQ&NR=1
              If you've got a problem and no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire...Gordon Brown ...( cue music )

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Brown View Post
                For those of you using the new technology known as the Interweb, I have put up a message for you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QapZI2cLQQ&NR=1

Comment

"I wonder if your career might have reached its end?". For the first time, I am not sure that I would mind any more.
                  Just blame it on ageism and recession and get an early retirement or a cozy permie job.

Comment

Next one expected 2011-2012 (there is a downturn in xxx1-xxx2 of every decade).
                    Do you have a link or reference for that? I'm interested to read.

My partner commented the other night, "I wonder if your career might have reached its end?".
                    Just show her www.jobstats.co.uk for any skillset (graph exhibit No.1 is always a good one). It ain't pretty, but its certainly not just you. So I'd say your career hasn't come to an end, its just seems like IT has. (no pun intended)

Comment

Working...
                    X