• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extra hoops to get the job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra hoops to get the job

As contractor supply oustrips employer demand it is interesting to see the extra hoops that we contractors have to jump through to land a role. I was lucky enough to secure a 6 month gig which I started this week, although I had to undertake some homework - a heuristic website evaluation (a few thousand words, contents page, index, appendices) of their website as part of the interview process (I believe it was the quality and promptness of this submission largely which set me apart).

To be honest, in the past I probably would have scoffed at this request and quickly snapped up another contract, but of course the savvy amongst us know that we can't afford (literally) to be so nonchalant anymore.

What interesting hoops have others been asked to jump through, have you been asked to do homework - did you accept or decline?
    You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

What a great way to get work done for free.

Wanted Website Developer.

As part of the interview process, candidates are expected to redesign our website to our specification and provide us all HTML, CSS and graphics.

You have one month to complete the task. Winner will secure the contract at £100 per day.

Comment

I was asked to drop my rate by £50 a day before interview, I said NO.
      When the agent asked why? I said, if people don't pay you a good rate they don't listen to your advise.

I would prefer to waste my time on the beach.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Is this a wind-up? Did you get paid for this consultancy?

I'll try that tactic with a local builder I think - "yes mate we'd like an extension but you need to prove yourself by building us a small shed for free"
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          What a great way to get work done for free.

Wanted Website Developer.

As part of the interview process, candidates are expected to redesign our website to our specification and provide us all HTML, CSS and graphics.

You have one month to complete the task. Winner will secure the contract at £100 per day.

This is where the trepidation comes in, I always get a bit paranoid about someone trying to get some work for free. Although this contract is between £300-£400 pd so I was happy I was not cynical in this case.

I guess the lesson is that the cynics may need to readjust to ride this downturn out.
          You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
            a heuristic website evaluation (a few thousand words, contents page, index, appendices) of their website as part of the interview process (I believe it was the quality and promptness of this submission largely which set me apart).
            Good luck with the gig. Of course canny of their management to get a lot of free analysis to put forward for their mid/long term strategy. The fees from their mgt. cons. would far exceed the cost of your gig.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              I was asked to drop my rate by £50 a day before interview, I said NO.
              When the agent asked why? I said, if people don't pay you a good rate they don't listen to your advise.

I would prefer to waste my time on the beach.
              If I was paying somone to advise me, I'd want someone who knew how to spell advice for a start. Not being able to get that right would dent their credibility more than a cheap rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke
                If I was paying anyone to advise me, I would at least expect them to be able to spell advice, no matter what they charged.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  If I was paying somone to advise me, I'd want someone who knew how to spell advice for a start. Not being able to get that right would dent their credibility more than a cheap rate.
                  WHS.
                  I think the froth is going to be shaken off the contracting community cappuchino in the next couple of years.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                    Is this a wind-up? Did you get paid for this consultancy?

I'll try that tactic with a local builder I think - "yes mate we'd like an extension but you need to prove yourself by building us a small shed for free"
                    On the other hand working as a business you often have to invest time without getting paid. For instance if you are bidding on some work, asking about what the client wants, working out your estimated time/cost to do the work, etc.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X