• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prague

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prague

I'm currently plying my trade in Geneva and I hate it. I have the possibility of something in Prague and thought I'd check with you lot for the low down instead of making the same mistake again. So what's it like to work in Prague? How expensive is it to rent somewhere? Is it expensive to eat out/go out etc?

I went there a few years ago with the wife and really liked the place but I suppose things will have changed a lot since then.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    I'm currently plying my trade in Geneva and I hate it. I have the possibility of something in Prague and thought I'd check with you lot for the low down instead of making the same mistake again. So what's it like to work in Prague? How expensive is it to rent somewhere? Is it expensive to eat out/go out etc?

I went there a few years ago with the wife and really liked the place but I suppose things will have changed a lot since then.
    I'm working there again a couple of days a week from mid-June.

For rental places, I'd recommend sreality.cz - note: they've got a section in English. As there's such a huge expatriate community there (mainly American arts students "finding themselves" (*******)), two websites exist that would be of use:

www.expats.cz
    www.prague.tv

Comment

From what a mate who lived there for a while tells me (I cisited him there as well), it's pretty expensive in the middle/touristy bits but gets markedly cheaper when you stay in the more real bits.

Think it's good generally, but the bureaucracy used to drive him absolutely mental. To the point it made him leave.
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

If you're getting paid Geneva money then go for it, you should be able save a lot of cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
          If you're getting paid Geneva money then go for it, you should be able save a lot of cash.
          Flights from Geneva to Prague should also be pretty frequent thinking about it.

Comment

I live in the UK so wouldn't be interested in flights to and from Geneva.

I'm expecting it to come in at £400 a day if it comes off.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

So you'll earn the average monthly salary in about 2 days.

Comment

I think Sockpuppet worked there for a while. Perhaps you could drop him a PM?
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

£400 / day in Prague's very good.

The average earnings in the Czech Republic are ~£900 month although in Prague it's a bit higher (~£1100).

Comment

I was going to go, but at the last minute it all fell through. Sort of a cancelled czech.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X