• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Approaching clients direct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Approaching clients direct

As a result of some work that I have recently done, the users informed me that many other similar businesses in the area are crying out for a similar system as a change in legislation is driving this.

I want to contact these other businesses direct with a view to using the current system as an example. Do you have any suggestions as to how to approach the others? Or is it like the agencies - get cold calling!

Approach an agency - get them to do the cold calling for you

Originally posted by Shimano105
    As a result of some work that I have recently done, the users informed me that many other similar businesses in the area are crying out for a similar system as a change in legislation is driving this.

I want to contact these other businesses direct with a view to using the current system as an example. Do you have any suggestions as to how to approach the others? Or is it like the agencies - get cold calling!

Comment

Cold calling is the only way either by yourself or someone else.

Its not that difficult though give it a try

Comment

Cold calling is the only way to go. Make sure you have a webtulipe, business card, brochure and pitch all ready to go though.

Comment

Seems like your users have contacts in these other businesses, so tap them for details. If there are only a handful of businesses you're targeting, consider writing first (maybe in the form of a questionnaire), and then following up with the call a week or so later. But yes, have your papers, website etc. in order first.

Bonne chance,
          tl

Comment

Shimano - drop me a private. I have a friend who's given up 9 to 5 after 30 years and is trying to launch a Sales and Marketing consultancy/advice thing. He may have some good ideas
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I personally would go outsource for sales. Last time I went through this I ws looking at costs of £350/day + commission for a field sales guy and £200/day for telesales.

As you have a product it would be easier to determine a value proposition than it would for services work.

I have a very good contact so PM me if interested...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

first, catch your hare....

It sort of depends how well developed your current product is, but assuming that it's at the early stages (i.e. you've got the software, but not the licensing model, target market, brochures, user guides, generic installation stuff etc.), then it's probably worth testing whether there's any real demand before investing lots of time and effort in it.

For a start, if your current client/contacts are telling you that there is a market -- call their bluff. Ask them to name either the company, or even better, specific contacts who might be interested. Then call them up and ask, not if they want to buy the product, but whether or not they think that a product like it would be interesting (I agree with some of the other posters who recommend using a professional salesperson to do the sales; but what you can do yourself at relatively little cost and effort is a bit of market research). It's only if you can easily find, say 8-10 companies/contacts who might actually buy it, that it becomes worth putting in the effort involved in developing it into a fully fledged commercial product.

....unless of course, you just like writing nifty software, in which case follow the field of dreams -- if you build it, they will come....
                Plan A is located just about here.
                If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Agree with your approach

If you find 8-10 people that are interested in buying it then you will make a fortune from these alone!!!

My experience is that it is very difficult and time consuming doing the initial marketing / telemarketing bit - that is where most of these things fall down. You either do it yourself in a slow piecemeal basis (which has limited results because you have to balance marketing, sales, money and paying the bills!!) or if you can get in with some marketing people who can spot an opportunity and do things on a bit of rewards basis then this is more preferable..

...any contacts for this type of thing would be more than welcome as I am doing the same thing myself!!!!!!

Comment

One word of caution though ...

Shimano - without wanting to put a damper on this opportunity, I'd suggest that you also check the contract under which you were working when you developed your solution. Be careful that it cannot be classified as "work product" specifically derived from information and/or skills gained during that contract, or you could find yourself sued for reselling what is essentially seen as property of the company you were working for. Might not be an issue depending on the circumstances of the arrangement you had when you developed the solution, but thought I'd just highlight for you ...

Cheers,
                    AIL.
                    [I]Tis better to have tried and failed than to die with the regret of never knowing what might have been.[/I]

Comment

Working...
                    X