• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

using twitter for career advantage?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using twitter for career advantage?

twitter seems to have leaped in popularity to actually become a fairly useful tool for people/companies etc. in some ways.

i was wondering if any here used it for self-promotion, getting jobs etc? and if so how?

Originally posted by catboy View Post
    twitter seems to have leaped in popularity to actually become a fairly useful tool for people/companies etc. in some ways.

i was wondering if any here used it for self-promotion, getting jobs etc? and if so how?
    I can't figure it out - let me know if you do!
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

OK, I'm game. HAB is using twitter.

How do I drive more business my way by using it?
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I've got a couple of jobs as a result of posts I've made on technical forums so I suppose it might work.

However, I hate Twitter. It annoys me even more than most blogs do. I think it's the self centered nature of it that brings out the grumpy old git in me.

Comment

Keep being told all this social networking crud, facebook, Twitter etc can be used for business promotion. Had a decko but could not really see how. Mind, you, me and networking don't really mix. I once spent 4 weeks trying to sell encyclopedias and never had a single sale. Look 'ere, you wanna buy this or not?

PS HAB. Got Tourettes and proud of it eh? Me too. Why not shout "p1ss up my nose" in W H Smiths? Whether your approach would promote your business, not sure.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 29 May 2009, 17:55.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I can see how substantial blog posts or tech forum answers might help one's business. But Twitter just seems like a frivolous outlet for every passing thought or trivial event.

I don't see the appeal, and even less any use, of a genuine Twitter output except maybe for fans to follow the goings on of some star.

There might be more potential in a fictitious or contrived Twitter, e.g. some marketing wheeze. But wouldn't that defeat its whole purpose?
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              I can see how substantial blog posts or tech forum answers might help one's business. But Twitter just seems like a frivolous outlet for every passing thought or trivial event.
              Indeed. I know that I got my gig at Yahoo through activity on the YUI forum and bug reports/fixes, together with a few personal contacts made through activity in a WaSP task force; but I doubt I would have achieved similar effect by telling whoever happened to be listening about my dinner. What's more, unless people actively choose to follow you, they won't see your tweets, so you need some way of motivating them to pay attention in the first place.

How can one establish real technical credibility in posts of 140 characters or less? I'm sure even Molly would have struggled to make any kind of name for herself (never mind being paid to go to Seattle and explain Web Standards to Bill Gates) solely or predominantly via her twitter stream
              Last edited by NickFitz; 29 May 2009, 21:13.

Comment

I don't see the point in Twitter or any other social network site. I only joined LinkedIn and made a very cursory profile because I got an invite from a colleague.

Comment

I spend too much time on here to do any social networking
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Did not do this guy I know any good any good link
                    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Working...
                    X