• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Get your training in now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get your training in now

I spent the afternoon shopping around for a particular training course I want to do. I had previously researched this same course about nine months ago.

I found a lot of training companies have disappeared or been taken over. Also, the courses have got cheaper.

When I phoned to make a booking, I was immediately offered a discount!

So, if benched or threatened with the bench, it might be a good idea to spend some of your war chest now to improve your employability or increase your options.

(I eventually bought my way out of the 2001 downturn by spending the last of my tax account money on a PRINCE2 course - so it worked for me then. But it was a hell of a gamble. Your choice, your risk.)
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Have done just that and did the Prince2 stuff - and I am now a certified practitioner -

Seems to have generated a few more calls so I will see.
    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post
      Have done just that and did the Prince2 stuff - and I am now a certified practitioner -

When did you take your Practitioner exam and how long did it take for the result to arrive?

I took the old essay type exam and it took quite a while for the result several months in fact.

Industry recognised qualifications can be the critical tick in the box to get your CV past the Agent and HR filters, while they don't add value in themselves I've found them to be essential door openers. I'm considering doing the Managing Successful Programmes one while I have some time on my hands.

Comment

If you're based in Yorks or Humber you can get 60% off training.....

Chamber of Commerce - enhancement fund....

I booked a BCS Green IT course - £1400 plus VAT - I'm paying £560 plus VAT.

Can't be bad.....

T

Comment

So who is a good course provider for Prince 2 then?
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            So who is a good course provider for Prince 2 then?
            I did mine through WPM a few years ago, 12 on the course, all passed Foundation and all but one passed Practitioner. The Guy who failed was probably the second least likely to fail in my opinion, maybe he's one of the people that can't cope with exams.

I was happy with the price (negotiated), the hotel (Chester), the facilities and the instructor was excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              When did you take your Practitioner exam and how long did it take for the result to arrive?

I took the old essay type exam and it took quite a while for the result several months in fact.

Industry recognised qualifications can be the critical tick in the box to get your CV past the Agent and HR filters, while they don't add value in themselves I've found them to be essential door openers. I'm considering doing the Managing Successful Programmes one while I have some time on my hands.
              Brought the course from someone here - but it was organised thu these guys who booked it via a company called QA. They where doing the foundation and practitioner for 800 quid. well they got be though both with a decent grade too ( not that it matters but is nice to know). Looking to do ITIL and Sharepoint next.

Sarah Lee
              Tel 01372 206030
              Fax 01372 748092
              www.trainingdeals.co.uk
              All courses offered are through fully accredited training organisations.
              First Floor,
              Blenheim House,
              1 Blenheim Road,
              Epsom,
              Surrey. KT19 9AP
              Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Brought the course from someone here - but it was organised thu these guys who booked it via a company called QA. They where doing the foundation and practitioner for 800 quid. well they got be though both with a decent grade too ( not that it matters but is nice to know). Looking to do ITIL and Sharepoint next.

Sarah Lee
                Tel 01372 206030
                Fax 01372 748092
                www.trainingdeals.co.uk
                All courses offered are through fully accredited training organisations.
                First Floor,
                Blenheim House,
                1 Blenheim Road,
                Epsom,
                Surrey. KT19 9AP
                I've seen their site before.

I do recall someone saying he had a course available that he couldn't attend, but that wasn't long ago was it? It took the better part of 3 months to get the Practitioner results when I did the exam, I was wondering how long it took for your result with the new exam format.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                  I spent the afternoon shopping around for a particular training course I want to do. I had previously researched this same course about nine months ago.

I found a lot of training companies have disappeared or been taken over. Also, the courses have got cheaper.

When I phoned to make a booking, I was immediately offered a discount!

So, if benched or threatened with the bench, it might be a good idea to spend some of your war chest now to improve your employability or increase your options.

(I eventually bought my way out of the 2001 downturn by spending the last of my tax account money on a PRINCE2 course - so it worked for me then. But it was a hell of a gamble. Your choice, your risk.)
                  Absolute rubbish! You're wasting your money. I dont know any client who accept training courses as a qualification for a role. What they want to see is 12 months commercial experience using the skill \ application.

Qualification and training is only worthwhile if doing it on the job at the client site.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Think I'll train as a painter & decorator, they're all booked up around here for months.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X