• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pre-interview references, legally required?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-interview references, legally required?

I guess it's a common tactic for agents to ask for references when all they're after are a few more contacts for cold calling. It's something I hate as I've stayed on good terms with most of my previous managers.
    I got a call the other day from an agent giving the usual spiel and asking for refs. I told him they'd be available only after a face to face interview. He then mentioned something about an IT recruitment "alliance" group and how getting references ahead of time was now a legal requirement.
    This is bogus isn't it ?
    He seemed a bit put out that I still wasn't prepared to give him any references, I've still got 4 months left on my current contract so I'm not actively looking.
    Was he trying to con me or is this for real ?

Originally posted by draxenato View Post
    I guess it's a common tactic for agents to ask for references when all they're after are a few more contacts for cold calling. It's something I hate as I've stayed on good terms with most of my previous managers.
    I got a call the other day from an agent giving the usual spiel and asking for refs. I told him they'd be available only after a face to face interview. He then mentioned something about an IT recruitment "alliance" group and how getting references ahead of time was now a legal requirement.
    This is bogus isn't it ?
    He seemed a bit put out that I still wasn't prepared to give him any references, I've still got 4 months left on my current contract so I'm not actively looking.
    Was he trying to con me or is this for real ?
    Yes it is bogus.

Yes, he was trying to con you.

Ordinarily you would dismiss these attempts out of hand without asking on a forum like this. In times like these when the market is difficult you are allowing doubt to creep in to your thinking. Really though, the answer is still the same.

Comment

If you are opted in agents have a legal obligation to make checks on your references and work history.

That being said it does not have to be done before a job offer has been made, and there is no legal requirement to get x number of refs before they send a cv forward, that's just stupid!!

Comment

Keep the following in mind at all times:

If the agent is speaking, the agent is lying.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

If there is a real job, and your CV is good the agent will do anything to get that CV in front of the client first. Refs only come into it when the agent is lead scamming. There is no job.

Make sure that you state to such agents that your Ltd company requires references from two of the agency clients to verify that the agency is a bonifide business. That quickly gets rid of the sad t***ers

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks

Comment

Working...
            X