• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can the Queen dissmiss parliament?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the Queen dissmiss parliament?

This expense fiddling has gone too far (he says )

Anyone know? Constitutionally, does she have the power?

And if she could, should she do it?

No. Parliament can only be dissolved by the Monarch at the request of the Prime Minister. The Monarch can, in fact, refuse to dissolve Parliament when the Prime Minister requests it, as happened in 1923; but they cannot dissolve it without being requested to do so. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissolu...dom_Parliament for details (possibly randomly modified by any old loony).

We had a Civil War and beheaded Charles I in order to get things arranged that way

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
      This expense fiddling has gone too far (he says )

Anyone know? Constitutionally, does she have the power?

And if she could, should she do it?
      Of course. She is the head of the army. She can do what the hell she likes. Don't expect it to come to that though.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        She is the head of the army.
        But they're not at home.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
          But they're not at home.
          Press 4, then after the tone, leave a message.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

In that case, take up your pitch forks and lets have ourselves a little revolution
            'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
              In that case, take up your pitch forks and lets have ourselves a little revolution
              Traditionally, the government would have you shot down by the Dragoons. However, they're out in Afghanistan.

Maybe that's why the Police now have horses and guns?

Not that our friendly Bobbies would ever shoot unarmed civilians, of course. Or charge crowds on horseback, cracking skulls when they get there.

Will you forgive me if I stop at home and hide behind the sofa? I'll send flowers.
              Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
                Aye, I think it will have to come to that.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  No. Parliament can only be dissolved by the Monarch at the request of the Prime Minister. The Monarch can, in fact, refuse to dissolve Parliament when the Prime Minister requests it, as happened in 1923; but they cannot dissolve it without being requested to do so. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissolu...dom_Parliament for details (possibly randomly modified by any old loony).

We had a Civil War and beheaded Charles I in order to get things arranged that way
                  But there are also time limits - If the PM/Ministry of the day doesn't request a dissolution within five years of the previous election then the House of Lords has the collective legal duty to do this on their behalf.

The time limit has varied in the past. For example by the Septennial Act it used to be 7 years, and I think coalition governments have stayed in power for slightly longer during each World War, but of course only by common consent of the parties involved.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                  X