• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stock market: 'We're in the yin phase'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...yin-phase.html

According to Chinese philosophy, yin (shadow) and yang (light) are complementary energies that form a universe. It is a convenient mythology that has, over time, been used to help smooth the many paradoxes associated with modern life.

In recent years, it has been applied to understanding of the nature of economic and business cycles. The conclusions may have implications for how we, as investors, steer through torrid times.

The main proponent of this theory is Richard Koo, chief economist of the Nomura Research Institute, and well known for his examination of "Japan's Great Recession", from 1990 to 2005.

History says its a bull market Mr Koo believes economies and companies operate within yin and yang phases. During "lighter" yang phases, both focus on growth and "profit maximisation" (driving up the share price); in "darker" yin phases, this emphasis shifts to "debt minimisation" (reducing debt levels), at which point the economy falls into a "balance sheet recession".

Under these conditions, asset prices plummet, pushing corporate and personal balance sheets underwater – this is where we find ourselves today.

Mr Koo's theory is contentious because it challenges conventional wisdom about recessions and how to tackle them. It states that monetary and fiscal stimuli are ineffectual if used at the wrong point in the cycle.

Mr Koo proposes more fiscal stimuli are required during a yin phase, when borrowers are few, and looser monetary policy during a yang phase, when borrowers are abundant. Any contortion and the cycle collapses.

Mr Koo's depiction of Japan's recession is one derived from a balance-sheet recession perspective. He argues that the lesson to be learnt from this period is the redundancy of monetary policy.

His conclusion, that governments must spend their way out of recession (and worry about budgetary imbalances later) is contentious. Nevertheless, if we are suffering from a global variant of this asset crunch, we must all view leverage more critically.

A balance-sheet recession occurs when asset prices plunge, leaving indebted entities technically bankrupt.

On a corporate level, this transforms the indebted business from its normal function of profit maximisation to one where its overarching strategy is paying down debt and diverting cash flows away from future growth.

In monetary terms, if the business opts to pay debt rather than increase borrowing, cash remains within the banking system, and looser monetary policy has a negligible impact. It does not matter how low the cost of borrowing becomes if there remains a falling demand for debt.

We are seeing evidence of this today. Central bank money supply has grown, but broader money supply – money created through loans – is lagging. In other words, the "multiplier effect" – the expansion of commercial bank money into the real world – is modest and reflects the banks' desire to hoard capital. This is the essence of Mr Koo's warning.

We believe this warning has not been heeded by the market, as evidenced by the equity rally from the fearful lows in March.

So, using the British consumer as an example, and despite the shift in sentiment, it is unlikely that our willingness to spend will be maintained as unemployment rises, and we choose, instead, to repair our personal balance sheets.

Recently, American investor Jeremy Grantham presented the future as a "long, boring period where making fortunes is harder, and investors value safety and steady gains rather than razzle-dazzle".

The spring bounce looks more "dazzle" than steady. He does, however, hit upon the key for investing now: we should be investing in the reliable entities that have consistently generated equity returns, without resorting to debt to maximise results.

Cash-rich businesses do not have the dilemmas of their indebted brethren; they can invest the money they earn back into the business, compounding earnings growth, year–on-year. In a yin environment, this represents a crucial advantage.

The yin part of the cycle can take years to work through.

There is an evolutionary aspect to Mr Koo's theory, however. Human ego ultimately dictates the fear associated with the yin phase, and the overconfidence that will induce the bubbles in the yang. These precepts are nothing new, but identifying this particular cyclicality should help investors tailor their strategies.

The best investment returns of tomorrow will be generated by businesses with the strongest balance sheets today – in this respect, cash is king. Such investments remain our focus.

Can you translate please?
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      Miaow, miaow miaow miaow, miaow miaow miaow miaow miaow, MIAOW!

HTH
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Miaow, miaow miaow miaow, miaow miaow miaow miaow miaow, MIAOW!

HTH
        Miaow.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Stock market: 'We're in the left bollock phase'

Stock market: 'We're in the left bollock phase'

According to Chinese philosophy, left bollock (limp) and right bollock (wince) are complementary energies that form a looniverse. It is a convenient mythology that has, over time, been used to help delude the many numpties associated with modern life.

In recent years, it has been applied to confusticating the nature of economic and business cycles. The conclusions may have implications for how we, as investors, steer away from horrid mentalists.

The main proponent of this theory is Richard Koo, chief economist of the Nomura Research Institute, and well known for his examination of "Japan's Great Recession", from 1990 to 2005.

History says it’s a bulltulip market Mr Koo believes economies and companies operate within left bollock and right bollock phases. During "wincier" right bollock phases, both focus on sperm growth and "profit maximisation for Mr Koo" (driving up his bank balance); in "limpier" left bollock phases, this emphasis shifts to "bench minimisation" (reducing debt levels), at which point the economy falls into a "skidmarked sheet recession".

Under these conditions, arsehole prices plummet, pushing corporate and personal bed sheets underwater – this is where we find ourselves today.

Mr Koo's theory is contentious because it challenges conventional wisdom and makes no logical sense about recessions and how to tackle them. It states that monetary and penile stimuli are ineffectual if used at the wrong point in the menstrual cycle.

Mr Koo proposes more colonic stimuli are required during a left bollock phase, when borrowers are few, and looser stools policy during a right bollock phase, when borrowers are bumbandits. Any contortion and the cycle prolapses.

Mr Koo's depiction of Japan's recession is one derived from a balance-sheet recession perspective and drugs. He argues with himself that the lesson to be learnt from this period is the redundancy of monetary policy and how buying his book will make him rich.

His conclusion, that governments must spend their way out of recession (and worry about budgetary imbalances later) and that small green men from his nose run the world by banging little symbols, is contentious. Nevertheless, if we are suffering from a delusion of global size about Abbey Crunch biscuits, we must all view leverage, fulcrumage, effortage and loadage more criticallyage.

A balance-sheet recession occurs when arse danglies plunge, leaving indebted entities technically bankrupt with serious bum grapes.

On a corporate level, this transforms the indebted business from its normal function of profit maximisation to one where lots of long words are put in to make it sound plausible but it is still all just bollocks overarching ones strategy to pay prostitutes to divert cash flows away from future growth.

I’m bored of this rubbish now so I’ll delete a few paragraphs, if that is OK.

We believe this warning has not been heeded by the market, as evidenced by the complete absence of men in white coats taking away straight-jacketed loons in pin-striped suits.

Cash-rich businesses do not have the dilemmas of their indebted brethren. I wonder what rocket scientist worked that out. They can invest the money they earn back into the business, compounding earnings growth, year–on-year. In a left bollock environment, this represents a crucial advantage.

The left bollock part of the cycle can take years to work through. But then so can a boiled egg and banana salad.
          Last edited by RichardCranium; 30 May 2009, 10:08.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Allow me...

"My life is so pathetic that I have to spend all my time trolling through the tory press trying to find doom-ridden articles to copy and paste into a discussion forum in a vain attempt to depress people"
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Translate

I am really bored with conventional economics so I will come up with a load of tulip and see how many dumb f u c k e r s I can con into actually taking this tulip seriously.

Should I have fun with this, my next big theory will be asserting that the Star Wars trilogy is a parable for the stock market and that bankers are Jedi knights, Obi Wan represents George Soros and Darth Vader is Bernie Maddoff.

If you enjoyed my first theory , stay tuned for the second, and buy my book etc etc

Yours patronisingly

RK
              There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Miaow.
                In one particular dialect, that is very rude, and I am suprised the profanity filter didn't catch it.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                X