• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

anyone know a trustworthy bank? credit union?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone know a trustworthy bank? credit union?

Hello,

I need to get a new personal account, the reason being, my high street bank is not responsible with my money. In fact every big bank I've ever been with has tried to rip me off in a lot of little ways (and often succeeded).

Preferably I'd like some organization that is independent of the corrupt system but can still offer a debit card. Is that impossible? I've looked into credit unions but there's none in my area (Surrey). For business, I'm with Cater Allen, and they've been good so far, but what about personal?

So have you been with a bank and you feel they've treated you right? Just don't mention Barclays, HSBC, or the rest of that crowd.

D.
    Der going over der to get der der's.

When NatWest screwed up and shafted me big time, the building societies and banks would not give me any kind of account.

However, the Co-operative Bank did let me have what is called a "Basic Account". No overdraft facility, no credit card. But you can do direct debits, standing orders, internet banking, a cheque book and a debit card.

They also try to be ethical.

In about 4 years they have only so far screwed up once and they gave me £25 when I complained.

[ a 'basic account' was invented for people with an appalling credit record as a way of receiving their benefits when you could no longer get them in cash from the post office. all the banks are supposed to provide them but this was not my experience. ]
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
      When NatWest screwed up and shafted me big time, the building societies and banks would not give me any kind of account.

However, the Co-operative Bank did let me have what is called a "Basic Account". No overdraft facility, no credit card. But you can do direct debits, standing orders, internet banking, a cheque book and a debit card.

They also try to be ethical.
      I once applied to the Co-operative Bank and they said sure, we'll send you the details. Two weeks later, instead of a card, they sent me a rejection letter! It was very awkward because I was counting on the account at the time.

I have been very honest in my financial dealings throughout my life, but I don't believe in subjecting myself to the justice system of the banks, i.e. credit score. They are corrupt themselves, and mess people up. That is why I am looking for some credit union or independent entity that offers a debit card. The Unco-operative Bank does not fulfill those requirements.

Comment

Any other ideas? What about the Post Office, anybody tried holding their money with them? Good experiences, bad experiences?

Comment

Originally posted by darrenb View Post
          I have been very honest in my financial dealings throughout my life, but I don't believe in subjecting myself to the justice system of the banks, i.e. credit score. They are corrupt themselves, and mess people up. That is why I am looking for some credit union or independent entity that offers a debit card. The Unco-operative Bank does not fulfill those requirements.
          Well, you're fracked then.

Is the Nationwide BS on your 'black list'?

The planed 'peoples bank' from the post office is still a nuLieBore pipe dream. The current offering is a joint venture with one of the Irish banks (I might be wrong on that - I can't be bothered to look it up). With a 'peoples bank', your account will be accessable by the government - are you happy with that?

For a debit card, have you considered one of those pre-paid cards? They are a bit expensive though.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Hello,

I need to get a new personal account, the reason being, my high street bank is not responsible with my money. In fact every big bank I've ever been with has tried to rip me off in a lot of little ways (and often succeeded).

Preferably I'd like some organization that is independent of the corrupt system but can still offer a debit card. Is that impossible? I've looked into credit unions but there's none in my area (Surrey). For business, I'm with Cater Allen, and they've been good so far, but what about personal?

So have you been with a bank and you feel they've treated you right? Just don't mention Barclays, HSBC, or the rest of that crowd.

D.

What do you mean treated you right?

There are loads of banks that don't charge any fees and pay top interest rates. What specific rip offs have you experienced? Charging too much if you go overdrawn and the like?

Check out moneyfacts or motley fool..they're always comparing accounts...but they have been for years...

Comment

+1 on the Nationwide Building Society.

Only problem I have is that transferring money from my Business Account takes a couple of days. But it's no biggie.

Business banking with Cater Allen, their personal account looks interesting, however after this last 12 months, I'm not going to put all my eggs in one basket.
              'elf and safety guru

Comment

Co-operative have always been quite good. But then I do a lot of work for them so I'm biased.

I moved to Nationwide from Halifax as their polices on overdrafts were much better. But every financial institution in this country is built on the same model...rip off the vulnerable. Nationwide just does it to less an extent.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Hello,

D.
                  What precisely is your problem with banks? Obviously there may be more than one problem but it may help to analyse them. And if in the end your problem is with banking itself, don't join the system yourself!

What do you mean, "not responsible with my money"? Do you mean that they make bad investments, risking your money? Do you mean that they make unethical investments?

"rip me off in a lot of little ways"? Most banks will let you run an account, write cheques, and use a debit card, without paying a penny for it. But if you mean that without them checking in any way whether they want to lend money to you, they will allow you to spend money that you don't have, and not charge you for it, I'd have to ask you: why would they do that?

"some organization that is independent of the corrupt system but can still offer a debit card"? I.e. not a bank? But offers a debit card? Unlikely: a debit card itslef is part of the banking system, it doesn't work without it.

A credit union is a common solution for people who want an alternative for of banking. If there isn't one that you can use, why is that? Do you think that someone ought to provide you with this service? Why not organise a credut union yourself (somebody has to)?

Or try an Islamic bank. They have some of the same concerns as you do.

But TBH it looks like you want someone to square the circle for you. FWIW I am happy enough with Nationwide and Coop.

Comment

Hello,

D.
                    You havnt explained what do you mean by, my high street bank is not responsible with my money and every big bank I've ever been with has tried to rip me off in a lot of little ways

Do you mean to say that you think your money is not safe coz these banks are risking your money in speculative markets and you have concerns that they are investing in somehow unethical businesses.

Then answer of your question I'd like some organization that is independent of the corrupt system but can still offer a debit card may be this and that

I personally dont know much about that but you might as well do some research.

Comment

Working...
                    X