• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benched? Need some work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benched? Need some work?

Seriously...

I need a Django / Python dev. Work from home. PM me if yer up for it.

Agents - feck off
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Seriously...

I need a Django / Python dev. Work from home. PM me if yer up for it.

Agents - flip off
    You just can't help some folks cliphead.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      You just can't help some folks cliphead.
      No takers so far, a nice little long term earner in spare / bench time
      Me, me, me...

Comment

My parents let a house in Wimbledon, and they recently told me that conscientious gardeners are like gold dust round there, because the good ones are snapped up by mega rich people, the average ones are rushed off their feet as everyone suddenly realises their gardens start needing attention at this time of the year, and the remaining gardeners are unreliable tossers and shoddy workers.

So if anyone on the bench needs some cash in hand ("no tax please we're British"), pretty good rates too by all accounts, and some physical work to get fit at the same time, and who knows perhaps some totty from bored housewives into the bargain, then maybe gardening isn't a bad idea.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Any chance of an indication of the scope of the project, timescales for delivery, all that kind of thing? I'm currently engigged but I have some experience with Django (on a gig where I had the good fortune to be working alongside one of its creators); however I'd be restricted to a few hours here and there, mainly weekends and occasional evenings - although ClientOrg would be flexible if the occasional full day or two was required, assuming it didn't bollux their own schedules.

Alternatively, if you don't get any useful responses here, then Django Gigs and Django People are Django community resources that are definitely worth using

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Any chance of an indication of the scope of the project, timescales for delivery, all that kind of thing? I'm currently engigged but I have some experience with Django (on a gig where I had the good fortune to be working alongside one of its creators); however I'd be restricted to a few hours here and there, mainly weekends and occasional evenings - although ClientOrg would be flexible if the occasional full day or two was required, assuming it didn't bollux their own schedules.

Alternatively, if you don't get any useful responses here, then Django Gigs and Django People are Django community resources that are definitely worth using
            Here's the basics.

The client already has a user registration system and online shop built with Django. User registers, enters his serial number and gets emailed a credit card style graphic which he then drags onto the open software to authorize. This is functional with some additions and changes to be made which will be done by the current developer. There is also a graphics guy who does all the look and feel stuff.

The problem - the current developer is totally unreliable and charges exorbitant rates so he needs to be replaced. The client needs someone who can take ownership of the project and be available to make any changes on an ad hoc basis. At the very least updating everything to run on v1.0.

I don't think this would be challenging or time consuming, the client is in the US so working from home (as I do). All we need is someone who can make the changes as required with minimum fuss and delays.

I've spent the last month or so contacting potential developers on Django People and not had a single reply. Could be an easy ongoing gig for someone.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Here's the basics.

The client already has a user registration system and online shop built with Django. User registers, enters his serial number and gets emailed a credit card style graphic which he then drags onto the open software to authorize. This is functional with some additions and changes to be made which will be done by the current developer. There is also a graphics guy who does all the look and feel stuff.

The problem - the current developer is totally unreliable and charges exorbitant rates so he needs to be replaced. The client needs someone who can take ownership of the project and be available to make any changes on an ad hoc basis. At the very least updating everything to run on v1.0.

I don't think this would be challenging or time consuming, the client is in the US so working from home (as I do). All we need is someone who can make the changes as required with minimum fuss and delays.

I've spent the last month or so contacting potential developers on Django People and not had a single reply. Could be an easy ongoing gig for someone.
              I'd do it if you'd just give me time to order and read "Django for dummies".

Edit : the DjangoProject tutorials
              Last edited by suityou01; 31 May 2009, 10:31. Reason: Found the Djangoproject website
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                I'd do it if you'd just give me time to order and read "Django for dummies".

Edit : the DjangoProject tutorials
                I've been going through that myself

I don't have time to get up to speed with Django & Python, that'll come later.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Here's the basics.

The problem - the current developer is totally unreliable and charges exorbitant rates so he needs to be replaced.

The client needs someone who can take ownership of the project and be available to make any changes on an ad hoc basis. At the very least updating everything to run on v1.0.
                  Honestly trying to help .. just wanted to point out that this spec is a bit vague:

1: " totally unreliable" - do you mean he refuses to drop whatever he is currently doing or that he does not deliver on his promises?

2: "charges exorbitant rates" - as we are all aware - we can and do charge whatever we can get away with! You obviously have a "reasonable " rate in mind -is the difference between exorbitant and reasonable an order of magnitude ? could you quantify further.

3: "The client needs someone who can take ownership of the project" All well and good - but with full ownership, comes full responsibility if things goes tits up... surely that is worth a premium on the rate.

4: "and be available to make any changes on an ad hoc basis"
                  what is a reasonable expectation around this? - the client is in the US - (which time zone btw) and wants a change made at say noon EST - would he expect that to happen same day bearing in mind it's already 17:00 in UK. What are the existing SLAs between your client and the incumbent developer?
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Honestly trying to help .. just wanted to point out that this spec is a bit vague:

1: "totally unreliable" - do you mean he refuses to drop whatever he is currently doing or that he does not deliver on his promises?

Example - disappears for weeks on end with no communication, usually after being paid.

2: "charges exorbitant rates" - as we are all aware - we can and do charge whatever we can get away with! You obviously have a "reasonable " rate in mind -is the difference between exorbitant and reasonable an order of magnitude ? could you quantify further.

He keeps upping his rates because he knows we don't have anybody else, he started on a good rate.

3: "The client needs someone who can take ownership of the project" All well and good - but with full ownership, comes full responsibility if things goes tits up... surely that is worth a premium on the rate.

Yes it is but not stretching into exorbitant / I've got you over a barrel territory.

4: "and be available to make any changes on an ad hoc basis" what is a reasonable expectation around this? - the client is in the US - (which time zone btw) and wants a change made at say noon EST - would he expect that to happen same day bearing in mind it's already 17:00 in UK. What are the existing SLAs between your client and the incumbent developer?

Client is in the west coast. There's never been any pressure to get projects completed same day or even same week. Sometime this month is usual but as this guy keeps disappearing what should take 3-4 days ends up taking months.

Full spec PM'd to to anybody interested.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X