• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What next?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What next?

Last week I went for an Interview and was told I had the job but the company wouldn't make a proper offer until I'd been referenced. Was referenced within abut 10 minutes of the request and the agent informed me the reference was perfect (like I'd give the name for a bad one!) and they would now go back to the client about the "formal offer". Two days later still heard nothing (although the agent did ring me frequently to say they hadn't been able to get hold of the hiring manager).

Anyway late Friday afternoon I finally get the call, the client has been avoiding the agents calls because they had a late applicant from another route and offered them the job instead.

Great, as if we don't get mucked around enough now we have sneaky clients as well as sneaky agents.

Thankfully the weekend stopped me from being in a bad mood about this but thought you guys might like to know about this wonderful experience of the job market.

What is your area of speciality, GG?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by GardenGirl View Post
      snip
      Who told you that you had the job? The agent probably just said that to get the 2 references out of you.

Comment

They wouldn't do that would they?

Have they no professional integrity whatsoever?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          Who told you that you had the job? The agent probably just said that to get the 2 references out of you.
          The agent told me I had the job and they only asked for 1 reference (not an unreasonable request at offer time) they didn't gain anything other than a reference out of it as my referee is benched.

Comment

The agent told me I had the job and they only asked for 1 reference (not an unreasonable request at offer time) they didn't gain anything other than a reference out of it as my referee is benched.
            I suspect your disdain for the client is misplaced and sole blame should lie with the agency. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              What is your area of speciality, GG?
              I've been working on projects for the last 3 years, in a sort of Junior PM\BA role, however because of the state of the market and the fact I'm not as experienced as most in this area, I went back to my previous area of expertise Service Management which I have more than 10 years experience of.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                I suspect your disdain for the client is misplaced and sole blame should lie with the agency. I could be wrong though.
                You maybe right but thought I'd learnt to tell the difference between the blagging agents by now though. The client said the late applicant had more Crystal experience than me which is fair enough as i never pretended otherwise, but if it doesn't work out they will call me (the last one didn't hence the vacancy!).

Comment

You maybe right but thought I'd learnt to tell the difference between the blagging agents by now though. The client said the late applicant had more Crystal experience than me which is fair enough as i never pretended otherwise, but if it doesn't work out they will call me (the last one didn't hence the vacancy!).
                  FWIW, a lesson learned. You should, perhaps, get the agent to email you in future to say you've got the job subject to one reference.

If they then come back to you with the type of tulip you've had from them you can refer them back and tell them that you'll be on site Monday. I've done this before with an agent and the amount of backtracking was - well, lets just say, imaginative.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                    FWIW, a lesson learned. You should, perhaps, get the agent to email you in future to say you've got the job subject to one reference.

If they then come back to you with the type of tulip you've had from them you can refer them back and tell them that you'll be on site Monday. I've done this before with an agent and the amount of backtracking was - well, lets just say, imaginative.
                    Will do that in future thanks for the suggestion. Job hunting right now is a nightmare because there seems to be alot more bulltulip about!

Comment

Working...
                    X