• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

what theft?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what theft?

Just on the phone to card provider, they spent ages trying to persuade me to pay for identity theft insurance.

AIUI, if someone dishonestly pretends to be me, some financial institutions may wrongly accept their word. So my card company wants me to pay them to take some steps to try to make it that I don't suffer unduly from people like them wrongly falling for someone else's fraud? ISTM that whoever "steals" my identity is a criminal, and whoever they deceive is a victim. Why should I pay to insure against their mistake?

oh dear

Milan.

Comment

No really, I think it's a racket. Financial institutions find that identity theft is on the increase, fuelled by their own lax standards of identification and control. So what do they do? Tighten up their standards and take responsibility for their errors? No, make the punters take responsibility, and pay for insuring against their mistakes. Racket.

Comment

Don't worry, I've just signed up for it for you anyway.

hth

tl

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          No really, I think it's a racket. Financial institutions find that identity theft is on the increase, fuelled by their own lax standards of identification and control. So what do they do? Tighten up their standards and take responsibility for their errors? No, make the punters take responsibility, and pay for insuring against their mistakes. Racket.
          No offence has been commited against you. An offence has been committed against the card issuer. It needs the issuer to complain in order to progress anything. It is simply cheaper for them not to bother and average out against everybody in fees.

Whoever it was figured out a way of making the customers pay for it (again) by insuring sure gets my vote for creative marketing.

Comment

They need to develop this purchasing pattern thing a lot more. Like, if my credit card was used to spend more than 8 quid on a pair of shoes they should know it couldn't possibly be me.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

They (and HMG) spend a lot of time deiberately confusing Credit Card fraud with ID theft too.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                They need to develop this purchasing pattern thing a lot more. Like, if my credit card was used to spend more than 8 quid on a pair of shoes they should know it couldn't possibly be me.
                It can be a bleeding nightmare. Last time I was in Russia it's 4 am, about to go to the airport so I go to pay hotel bill. Discover card does not work. After lot's of twitting about was finally able to track down crapital one who kindly told me they'd cancelled the card because there were purchases at Bristol Airport, Amsterdam and Frankfurt close to each other.

Only way to pay the somewhat substantial bill was to get some bloody money wired since I couldn't use my debit card either since it was somewhat over the limit.

Comment

Went on a bit of a spending spree with my American Express once. In 2nd shop or 3rd they called the store and I had to convince them it was me.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    No really, I think it's a racket.
                    You are spot on. This will only stop when the shops lose the money++.

But the card providers are worried that the shops will stop using their cards...

So it turns into a chicken and egg: no one wants to be first.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X