• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SPAM laws

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPAM laws

I want to do some target mailing (500 compaines in a certain sector)

Sending to about 50-100 a day

What is the legal status ?
    Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Have these companies visited your site and agreed to receive emails or are existing customers or is it total cold calling spam?

You'll be pleased to know New Labour created this legislation:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/12...law_goes_live/

Amongst another 100,000 other laws and regs.

Comment

And in typical "new" labour form, this new legislation is as clumsy as it is stupid.
      Corporations can still be approached 'cold' with email pitches but in these instances emails must have an opt-out clause.
      That'll please the spammers no end as your email address gets confirmed.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Okay,

So I just sent 100 mails out.. (naughty me)

5 bounced

2 telephone calls - possible business
        2 mails asking for more information
        1 mail telling me to feck off

Tomorrow another 100

Comment

Pretty good response. Obviously you've targetted them well.

Good luck and keep at it.

Maybe you'll be a millionaire before AtW and can rightfully call your product a SKA.

Comment

Originally posted by wc2
            I want to do some target mailing (500 compaines in a certain sector). Sending to about 50-100 a day. What is the legal status ?
            Not a lawyer but here is my understanding from the days when I was working in email marketing (100% legit - mailing opted in customers): in the UK you have to have permission to mail people (EUs directive that can be found on Data Commissioners website), however UK's law has loophole that allows to email to business email addresses -- so long as its business address you are fine from legal point of view.

Another matter is whether people there expect email like this -- they can still be VERY mad and I would advise not to proceed unless you are 100% people on your list are REALLY interested in your stuff. Even if you are sure try mailing in small batches and watch complaints -- this could save you drop jumping into poo-poo land.

AtW

p.s. I've done a lot of targeting for my ex-ex-employer having run 1,200 targeted email campaigns with very high CTRs and conversions.

Comment

Thanks ATW

As I said I mailed 100 today and have now had..

3 Telephone calls - 2 of which I will be doing business with
              5 mails - 4 interested 1 I will be doing business with
              1 mail telling me to feck off.

I think I'll mail another 100 next week.

What a response!!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                Not a lawyer but here is my understanding from the days when I was working in email marketing (100% legit - mailing opted in customers): in the UK you have to have permission to mail people (EUs directive that can be found on Data Commissioners website), however UK's law has loophole that allows to email to business email addresses -- so long as its business address you are fine from legal point of view.

Another matter is whether people there expect email like this -- they can still be VERY mad and I would advise not to proceed unless you are 100% people on your list are REALLY interested in your stuff. Even if you are sure try mailing in small batches and watch complaints -- this could save you drop jumping into poo-poo land.

AtW

p.s. I've done a lot of targeting for my ex-ex-employer having run 1,200 targeted email campaigns with very high CTRs and conversions.
                How do you know if a person is interested in your product if you cannot tell him what it is? Anyway I have emailed 1000 CIOs to ask them permission to send them information about my services
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                  How do you know if a person is interested in your product if you cannot tell him what it is?
                  They have to come to you first and give you permission to contact them later.

Comment

By emailing and asking you are breaking the SPAM rules.

It is ridiculous, email is a perfectly good medium to get advertising out there and if the addressees address is in the public domain then why not use it.

You could also try Googles pay per click ads so you come up if any body searches for your product, just be clever with your key words.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X