• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

search "IT"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

search "IT"

Has anybody noticed how hard it is to get google or yahoo searches to include the term "IT"? Even if you give it a "+", the site thinks that it's too common a word so ignores it.

But, strangely, <conspiracy theory>the targeted advertising picks up the "IT" search term just fine! </conspiracy theory>

It's IT, what is IT? It's IT, what is IT? It's IT, what is IT? It's IT, what is IT?
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

google appears to manage just fine using a + or putting quotes around "it" so far as I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        google appears to manage just fine using a + or putting quotes around "it" so far as I can see.
        It does. A little while ago when I last tried, it didn't. I don't now use Google if I can avoid it, because of privacy concerns.

Well-founded concerns, perhaps: when I tested it with "IT", the targeted advertising links were for IT services in my own town, and in the next town. How does Google know where I live?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          It does. A little while ago when I last tried, it didn't. I don't now use Google if I can avoid it, because of privacy concerns.

Well-founded, perhaps: when I tested it with "IT", the targeted advertising links were for IT services in my own town, and in the next town. How does Google know where I live?
          Google keeps large amounts of information on each IP address and if you use Google Mail, it reads every single message you send out.

I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            Google keeps large amounts of information on each IP address and if you use Google Mail, it reads every single message you send out.

And every message you receive, despite the fact that the sender did not agree to Google Mail's T&Cs, even if you did! That's why I stopped using Gmail: it's a deal whereby they give you an email service and you give them lots of personal data. I stopped feeling that was a deal /i wanted to make.

Yes, I suppose the IP address will get them to the general area of the country.

Comment

Working...
            X