• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No wonder car sales have plummeted!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wonder car sales have plummeted!

Well weekend came and off I trogged to bmw to test the 3 series convertible in black with all the toys. Its on an 09 plate and has a sticker price of £35900.

First question 'how much is your finance on a pcp?' Answer, 12.9% apr. WTF, base rate is about 0% yknow!

OK how much off the car, Im looking at around £32k otr. Answer, Might give you £500 off the sticker price. Like **** you will!

So, next to Mercedes Benz for a joy ride in an SLK. Sticker price £29800. How much for your finance on pcp? Erm, it would be cheaper buying new on a pcp as we're doing a special offer of 5.9% APR. OK, how much for a new one with the same spec before discount?

Erm, we're not expecting any more new cars until September!

Honestly, you couldnt make it up.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

What credit crunch?

Comment

First thing, there's no shortage of money in the UK. Talk of recession and downturn is media bulltulip. I know loads of people with large wads of cash ready to spend.

Second, prestige car dealers don't roll over at the first prod. You're not buying an Aygo.

You need to ring round lots of dealers and tell them you are a cash buyer looking for a certain specific model and spec and what is their absolute best price.

Then play one dealer off against the other ("if you can beat this price the deal is yours").

Even then, in summer with good weather on a popular desirable convertible model you might not get much of a discount. They'll be selling like hot cakes at the moment.

Comment

Last time I went into a bmw dealership, circa 2005, I got offered 2,500 of a 24k car no problem. Try another franchise or go to drivethedeal.com
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

What ****s me off with new cars is the Sat Nav.

For example, the BMW factory Sat Nav is about £1500 as an option! And yet it is utter tulipe and a £99 Tom Tom runs rings around it.

Why can't these ******* have a std connector and mounting system for all Sat Navs and Tom Tom, Garmin etc make compatible units for a couple of hundred folding.

Comment

I really would not touch a BMW with yours at the mo.

Audi are doing some serious kit a a very good, erm, discount, it you talk the talk.

If you want to push it, italian framed Audi kit, from St. Agassi Bolgonese is open to offers too...

Nudge nudge, wink wink, a nods a god as a ... to a blind man...
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I've got the 09 3 series coupe... good car, although my run flats appear to have a habit of deflating (well one of them).
              You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                What ****s me off with new cars is the Sat Nav.

For example, the BMW factory Sat Nav is about £1500 as an option! And yet it is utter tulipe and a £99 Tom Tom runs rings around it.

Why can't these ******* have a std connector and mounting system for all Sat Navs and Tom Tom, Garmin etc make compatible units for a couple of hundred folding.

And car stereos that still don't play MP3s! USB input will be an (£££) option too.

Best option is the nuclear option to fit a double DIN stereo-satnav. Can do this in VW with facia adapters, but not sure about BMW.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Why would anyone pay a premium to drive a car more common than a Ford Mondeo?
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    Why would anyone pay a premium to drive a car more common than a Ford Mondeo?
                    Because the interior, the exterior, the engine and just about everything else about the car is 'better'.

That said, with a swamp creature on the way shortly , the swampette and I will be needing a new swampwagon. And since I don't want chocolate and crayon over my current P&J I am thinking of getting one of these.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X