• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Primavera

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primavera

Anyone have any experience of using these products? Any opinions on how easy or difficult as the case may be they are to learn?

Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
    Anyone have any experience of using these products? Any opinions on how easy or difficult as the case may be they are to learn?
    Have used briefly. If you've used planning tools like OWB or MS Project it could be easy enough to blag.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I've never heard of this until last week. I was asked to produce a schedule of my activities for the coming months and now the client wants to bring my schedule in to line with the rest of the programme using this software. I've no idea what it's all about other than there's only one person in the company who is an expert on it and is not received in good light by other members of the client's staff.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        I've never heard of this until last week. I was asked to produce a schedule of my activities for the coming months and now the client wants to bring my schedule in to line with the rest of the programme using this software. I've no idea what it's all about other than there's only one person in the company who is an expert on it and is not received in good light by other members of the client's staff.
        The person or the software?

Comment

Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
          Assuming you mean P3 (or whatever it's become) I have used it for schedule and resource planning to a basic level. At that level it's similar to MS Project although it does have quite a bit more advanced functionality you can exploit if you RTFM and experiment.

Comment

That would be the software.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Its mainly used in construction and pharmacutical co.s - just another planning tool - becoming a bit more mainstream than it used to be though.

There's plenty of courses out there.

Comment

P3 is huge and used for enterprise planning. It has also stood the test of time - the P3 package relates to windows 3 sw. It still only supports filenames in the 8.3 format. We used it on a huge scale at GSK where they employed a large chunk of P3 planners. It's something I really want to get into but can't - I used to take the P3 data and generate all the management info and reports for a third of the project at GSK which was and still is the worlds biggest ever pharma project.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  Assuming you mean P3 (or whatever it's become) I have used it for schedule and resource planning to a basic level. At that level it's similar to MS Project although it does have quite a bit more advanced functionality you can exploit if you RTFM and experiment.
                  Think it's now P6 or something. I am looking at the Portfolio Management, Earned Value Management and Risk Analysis elements.

Comment

Primavera is a lucrative thing to get into but it bores the pants off me to be frank.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X