• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ma Bell

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ma Bell

Glen Campbell on radio singing Wichita Lineman:

I am a lineman for the county......

Surely he would have been a lineman for the Regional Bell Operating Company? Or am I being too pedantic?

End

Comment

Is a watering hole in St Andrews....
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Makes me think of the beastie boys ill communication ...
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

Surely he would have been a lineman for the Regional Bell Operating Company? Or am I being too pedantic?
          Spooky... as Trains ,Planes & Automobiles was on Sky last week, being bored I found myself watching it 'cos I couldn't even be arsed to flick channels. The characters get diverted to Wichita instead of snow bound Chicago on Thanksgiving... found myself humming Wichita linesman
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

The bench is getting to you.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

It's Lineman as in Power Lines not Telephone Lines.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                Ah. I was deceived by "I hear you singin' in the wire". But he's just hearing things.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  It's ambiguous.

I think it's the 'morse code' thing with the string arrangement that makes people think it's telegraph/telephone lines.

However, as he is "searching in the sun for another overload" that would suggest power transmission lines.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                    It's ambiguous.

I think it's the 'morse code' thing with the string arrangement that makes people think it's telegraph/telephone lines.

However, as he is "searching in the sun for another overload" that would suggest power transmission lines.
                    WHS.

Comment

Working...
                    X