• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£65K is a pretty small salary ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£65K is a pretty small salary ...

... for an MP (or any other professional who lives in London), I would say. Or are MPs not professional?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Absolute Bollox.

These muppets don't go into it for the money, but for the power!

And as for the argument that you need to offer them sky high wages because they're the cream of the crop, has anyone seen them on Question Time? They can barely string a sentence together never mind a cohesive argument and informed debate.

Wouldn't pay any of them in anything other than washers!
    'elf and safety guru

Comment

But if you pay peanuts you get monkeys (as we've seen).

If the salary was higher you would get a higher quality of candidate, no?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
        Absolute Bollox.

These muppets don't go into it for the money, but for the power!

And as for the argument that you need to offer them sky high wages because they're the cream of the crop, has anyone seen them on Question Time? They can barely string a sentence together never mind a cohesive argument and informed debate.

Wouldn't pay any of them in anything other than washers!
        Look out, they'll be claiming diamond encrusted gold Cartier washers on their expenses if you put ideas into their heads.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          ... for an MP (or any other professional who lives in London), I would say. Or are MPs not professional?
          A quick google suggests it's about right when compared to other public sector jobs with similar experience levels...

Modern Matron
          From £28,590 to £33,820

Nurse, Midwife, Health Visitor Consultants
          From £35,035 to £48,185

Head teachers and other school leaders
          From £42,559 to £107,192 in inner London
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Why not move the seat of government somewhere cheaper and then we don’t need to give them London salaries? Stevenage, for example. Or how about Swindon?
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              A quick google suggests it's about right when compared to other public sector jobs with similar experience levels...

Modern Matron
              From £28,590 to £33,820

Nurse, Midwife, Health Visitor Consultants
              From £35,035 to £48,185

Head teachers and other school leaders
              From £42,559 to £107,192 in inner London
              Yes but all these groups get subsidised housing in London under the key workers scheme, whereas an MP would not.

£65K x3 would not buy a decent one-bed even after the fall in house prices.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Why not move the seat of government somewhere cheaper and then we don’t need to give them London salaries? Stevenage, for example. Or how about Swindon?
                **** right off!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  But if you pay peanuts you get monkeys (as we've seen).

If the salary was higher you would get a higher quality of candidate, no?
                  Yes, just like all those fantastically well qualified and competent people working in local government who insist of being paid the same as if they ran a plc on the basis that they could go into the private sector and earn the same. Well I'd like to see them try.

Town Hall Rich List here (PDF)

And this kind of thing is rife
                  The council at the centre of the Baby P scandal will pay almost £200,000 a year to its new head of children's services, it has been revealed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

That's harsh, they've only fiddled money, not committed murder or genocide, to deserve such a fate.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X