• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Our highly educated grads on the scrapheap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our highly educated grads on the scrapheap

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8078034.stm

36,000 unemployed graduates and yet we are still importing people at the same rate as ever.

Yeah but the graduates in that article had "degrees" in history, journalism, graphic design and media. Just what we need.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8078034.stm

36,000 unemployed graduates and yet we are still importing people at the same rate as ever.
      When I graduated in 92, the economy was tulipe then too. Lots of new graduates were without jobs.

I had to take a crap job for a year before I got the accountancy training contract I wanted. One of my mates had a first class honours in Economics from a top 5 uni and he spent his first two years cutting grass on a golf course whilst making a side living selling golf balls he found lying around. He's a top barrister in London now though.

Comment

Originally posted by lightng View Post
        When I graduated in 92, the economy was tulipe then too. Lots of new graduates were without jobs.

I had to take a crap job for a year before I got the accountancy training contract I wanted. One of my mates had a first class honours in Economics from a top 5 uni and he spent his first two years cutting grass on a golf course whilst making a side living selling golf balls he found lying around. He's a top barrister in London now though.
        WHS I graduated in 94 in geography and spent a year working down a sewer welding plastic linings onto the walls. Then the PM from a water company told me they needed someone in the planning dept and I got a graduate level, highly academic job earning less than I did down the sewer, but it got me started. Nothing wrong with doing a tulipty job for a year or so. It did me some good and paid for my first car.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

If there is one thing I hate more than a scummy low-life student, it's a scummy low-life graduate.

Oh, hang on....
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Yeah but the graduates in that article had "degrees" in history, journalism, graphic design and media. Just what we need.
            I think you'll find few of them have degrees in history. That's one of the old, heavy-weight degrees that's been around for a long time, and requires a fair amount of intelligence.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I graduated in 91 and couldn't get anybody to employ me so I employed me. Been contracting throughout.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                I graduated in 91 and couldn't get anybody to employ me so I employed me. Been contracting throughout.
                that's what I should have done.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I think you'll find few of them have degrees in history. That's one of the old, heavy-weight degrees that's been around for a long time, and requires a fair amount of intelligence.
                  One thing you can say about History. The study of it gets harder every year.

Another thing you can say is that there's no future in history.

Comment

Ba-dum tish.

I did maths. Admittedly, you do get a lot of nerds in maths (including moi ) but I've been fairly fortunate that even in the mid-90s people were starting to decide that a degree in hairdressing or media studies (poor thing) was more of a doss than a proper, hard science.

Comment

Working...
                    X