• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

OK, folks, here's my current situation....

Contract runs out June 30th. There is an extension on offer (not sure how long for, though). Should I take it?

Pros

1 - The gig will run forever
    2 - It pays a reasonable rate

Cons

1 - I hate the client
    2 - There is no work for me to do - since March, I have done about 5 days work in total.
    3 - I have nothing to distract me - no phone, no internet, no email, no mobile.
    4 - I have to work with a complete tw@t - the one piece of work I did, he rewrote everything because he didn't like the coding style (e.g. use of capital letters for reserved words, ANSI join syntax)
    5 - I am working in London, which I hate
    6 - After November, I hit the two-year rule, if the extension runs that far.
    7 - Even when I have work to do, it doesn't add anything to my skill-set and isn't really what I do.

However, in this climate and all that....

I've pretty much decided what to do, I'm just interested in what our esteemed panel of experts would do.
    Walk - it's not worth the hassle
    27.27%
    Stop whinging and take the money
    57.58%
    Sign the extension, then get AndyW in as a substitute
    15.15%
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    OK, folks, here's my current situation....

Contract runs out June 30th. There is an extension on offer (not sure how long for, though). Should I take it?

I've pretty much decided what to do, I'm just interested in what our esteemed panel of experts would do.
    Take the extension and use your evenings to look for something else.

Good luck and HTH

Comment

Meant to add - I can't give notice to get out of the gig.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
        Take the extension and use your evenings to look for something else.

Good luck and HTH
        Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Meant to add - I can't give notice to get out of the gig.
        Thought of that, but it's all or nothing.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

say you'll accept 4 months taking you up to nov, use your full 2 years, then look.

Comment

Walk - you describe a situation that is not good for you soul / health.

Hope you have a war-chest.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

WHS, Walk.

Boreout is just as bad as burning out.

Comment

You only live once. Every day spent doing something you don't like doing is a day wasted and a day you won't get to live again.

So I would walk.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Toolpusher
                  My contract ran out on January 30th. The pros and cons of my contract weren't dissimilar to the points you've listed. I picked the "Walk" option.

If I could go back and pick again, I'd pick the "Stay" option.........
                  Listen to the man.

Just for the next extension - this is the wrong year to flounce out...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Listen to the man.

Just for the next extension - this is the wrong year to flounce out...
                    WSS, as tulipty as the current gig may be, it can't be as tulipty as sitting on the bench wondering if the warchest's going to run out before you find another one. It's not pretty out there
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X