• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Copies of Passport

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copies of Passport

Agent wants to see a copy of my passport (Front cover, inside cover page, photo page). I'm fine with the photo page but why the front and inside cover? It doesn't really carry much information.

Apparently they need to hold copies of these pages on their records so that they can comply with the document checks enforced by the UK Border Agency. They are saying that the UK Border Agency have recently issued detailed guidance regarding the documents that are acceptable as proof of eligibility to work in the UK and these now include covers of passports and inside pages.

Anyone else had this type of request?
    I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Originally posted by Rookie View Post
    Agent wants to see a copy of my passport (Front cover, inside cover page, photo page). I'm fine with the photo page but why the front and inside cover? It doesn't really carry much information.

Apparently they need to hold copies of these pages on their records so that they can comply with the document checks enforced by the UK Border Agency. They are saying that the UK Border Agency have recently issued detailed guidance regarding the documents that are acceptable as proof of eligibility to work in the UK and these now include covers of passports and inside pages.

Anyone else had this type of request?
    That's crap. The front and inside front covers don't have anything specific to that passport on them (do they(?)).

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
      That's crap. The front and inside front covers don't have anything specific to that passport on them (do they(?)).
      That's what I thought. I look forward to the day when agents require stool samples.
      I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt, not that fancy store-bought dirt... I can't compete with that stuff.

Comment

I had to fill in a "PowerChex" questionairre recently, which was unbelievably detailed and personal. Regarding passport, they wanted the usual details but also long number on the bottom of the photo page, that has dozens of "<<<<<" in it.

Comment

That's what I thought. I look forward to the day when agents require stool samples.
          At least it'll give us an opportunity to crap all over agents and thus turn the tables!

Comment

Originally posted by kryten22uk View Post
            I had to fill in a "PowerChex" questionairre recently, which was unbelievably detailed and personal. Regarding passport, they wanted the usual details but also long number on the bottom of the photo page, that has dozens of "<<<<<" in it.
            I would not for a moment suggest that you might alter that with Photoshop, to a different fictitious number every time.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              I would not for a moment suggest that you might alter that with Photoshop, to a different fictitious number every time.
              But they use it to check your status (presumably at the Home Office), hence you would risk them thinking you're an illegal alien and not get the job.

Comment

Originally posted by kryten22uk View Post
                But they use it to check your status (presumably at the Home Office), hence you would risk them thinking you're an illegal alien and not get the job.
                I'd imagine (hope) that there's an underlying algorithm to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                  I'd imagine (hope) that there's an underlying algorithm to it.
                  Probably. The driving license number wasnt exactly difficult to crack.

Comment

They are saying that the UK Border Agency have recently issued detailed guidance regarding the documents that are acceptable as proof of eligibility to work in the UK and these now include covers of passports and inside pages.
                    This is the responsibilty of the company who is employing the worker. It is your company's responsibility not the agency's. But they are too thick to know that.

Try sending them a letter on company headed paper saying your company has checked all employees eligibility to work in the UK and all employees are eligible.

Alternatively tell them you don't have a passport and see where that gets you!

Comment

Working...
                    X