• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it inefficient to take on a subcontractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it inefficient to take on a subcontractor?

A friend is wanting to contract in my industry for a short period (12mths) is it incredibly tax inefficient to take him on somehow in my Ltd? Havent worked out yet how it might happen, but I assume there would be a fair bit of complications. And hence worth him just setting up own company?

Originally posted by kryten22uk View Post
    A friend is wanting to contract in my industry for a short period (12mths) is it incredibly tax inefficient to take him on somehow in my Ltd? Havent worked out yet how it might happen, but I assume there would be a fair bit of complications. And hence worth him just setting up own company?
    Put him through a brolly; they'll pay him a % of what the client pay you for him making yourself a wee bit of profit per day.

Boomed!

Comment

Sounds like a lot of red tape. That said, the guy has some excellent niche expertise and would easily command £1k+ per day.

Comment

For 12 months, easiest solution is for him to set up on his own

Comment

Sounds like a lot of red tape. That said, the guy has some excellent niche expertise and would easily command £1k+ per day.
          You need to be a bit careful. If you're both invoicing £240K a year then you're ineligible for FRVS scheme this year (and the following 12 months) and maybe even no longer classed as a small business anymore. Only misery lies down that road.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            You need to be a bit careful. If you're both invoicing £240K a year then you're ineligible for FRVS scheme this year (and the following 12 months) and maybe even no longer classed as a small business anymore. Only misery lies down that road.
            Yes, I can only imagine the horror of a £480k p.a. income!

Comment

Yup - thus making a better argument for the brolly.

Seriously, give Lisa a ring at Contractor Umbrella; she's very good.

Comment

The fact that your CT rate will go up somewhat might focus your mind.

Comment

Working...
                X