• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ripe for the scrapheap?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ripe for the scrapheap?

Under this newfangled bonus for scrapping your car scheme that's being rolled out all over Europe, people wil get bonusses if they scrap their ten year old cars and buy a new one.

All very well, but it isn't really having much effect, perhaps because ten year old cars are often just not really ready for the scrapheap. Here's a ten year old car. Isn't it a bit disingenuous to claim that this is good for the environment? Perhaps people don't want to scrap their ten year old cars because they're actually quite happy with them?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Evidently the take of the scheme in the UK has been so good, the funds will run out in a few months.

It's the stupidity of the British public.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Evidently the take of the scheme in the UK has been so good, the funds will run out in a few months.

Stupidity indeed. Wasteful too. I could find countless examples like the BMW above of perfectly useful and in fact very nice cars that are ten years old; it seems this scheme is designed to make consumers even more wasteful than they were during the mad years of the credit boom.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I don't think getting 2-4k off a new car for this 10 year old car I found on Autotrader is that stupid...

1998 DAEWOO LANOS 1.6 SX 5dr Hatchback
        Price: £220 ono
        Features:
        100,000 milesManualSilverPetrolHatchback1598 cc
        Full Description:
        Glossary of Terms
        5 Door Hatchback, Silver, Petrol, Manual. £220 ono.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Under this newfangled bonus for scrapping your car scheme that's being rolled out all over Europe, people wil get bonusses if they scrap their ten year old cars and buy a new one.

All very well, but it isn't really having much effect, perhaps because ten year old cars are often just not really ready for the scrapheap. Here's a ten year old car. Isn't it a bit disingenuous to claim that this is good for the environment? Perhaps people don't want to scrap their ten year old cars because they're actually quite happy with them?
          Yer can't beat a 12 year old 4x4
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            I don't think getting 2-4k off a new car for this 10 year old car I found on Autotrader is that stupid...

1998 DAEWOO LANOS 1.6 SX 5dr Hatchback
            Price: £220 ono
            Features:
            100,000 milesManualSilverPetrolHatchback1598 cc
            Full Description:
            Glossary of Terms
            5 Door Hatchback, Silver, Petrol, Manual. £220 ono.
            Not in that case, no, but are most ten year old cars plenty cheapness daewoos are are most of them actually quite nice cars?

Comment

It's another backhanded handout to the lower classes.
              People who would always be a couple of grand short of a new car can now trade in the car they can afford and buy a brand new shiney one.

It will provide a spike in new car sales but will kill the second hand market for years to come.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I think the point of this scheme has been to get car workers back working on the production line (and it's worked locally - both BMW in Cowley and Honda in Swindon have restarted their production lines). Forget any crap about the environment
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

My car is 10 years old but worth far more than 2K so the deal does nothing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                    I think the point of this scheme has been to get car workers back working on the production line (and it's worked locally - both BMW in Cowley and Honda in Swindon have restarted their production lines). Forget any crap about the environment
                    The majority of the trade-ins has keen at the really low end of the market.

This is just a way of sending uK taxpayers money to prop-up Korean car manufacturers such as Kia, Hyundai, Perodua, SsangYong and the like.

Comment

Working...
                    X