• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spelling and grammar police

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spelling and grammar police

Is it really necessary to go around slagging off other people’s grammar or spelling? There are some people on the board whose first language isn’t English, others who are perhaps more talented in mathematical skills than literacy, some who speak more languages than most of you have hot meals each day, and some, like me, who went to poly because we’re a bit dim. So bloody what? It doesn’t make you look any smarter when you make comments about apostrophes or commas; it just makes you look like an anal retentive dipstick with a nasal voice and a traffic warden’s outfit. Some people write well, some don’t. Just live with it.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Is it really necessary to go around slagging off other people’s grammar or spelling? There are some people on the board whose first language isn’t English, others who are perhaps more talented in mathematical skills than literacy, some who speak more languages than most of you have hot meals each day, and some, like me, who went to poly because we’re a bit dim. So bloody what? It doesn’t make you look any smarter when you make comments about apostrophes or commas; it just makes you look like an anal retentive dipstick with a nasal voice and a traffic warden’s outfit. Some people write well, some don’t. Just live with it.
    Eloquently put Mitch, I agree
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
      Eloquently put Mitch, I agree
      WSS
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

to many people hear take there spelling and grandma two seriously.

Comment

To a certain extent I agree. However, if you can't put thought into how you express your thought, how much thought have you put into your thought in the first place?

Comment

I refer you all to Mr Brigstocke’s most excellent analysis of this issue.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              To a certain extent I agree. However, if you can't put thought into how you express your thought, how much thought have you put into your thought in the first place?
              It's just commas and stuff Churchie.

Being good with them doesn't make you great with words, just means you know the rules.

Bit like comparing Howard Webb to Ronaldo ...
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Ha, I was thinking this earlier on the Eminem thread. It's like two threads merged together - one being on topic, and one being a load of bickering about the spelling of "too", or something.

Still, whatever keeps people happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  I frequently see the results in documentation & emails presented by 'professional' people.

If someone can't be arsed to proof before submitting - how much effort was put into producing the document in the first place?

Standards are important... & johnny bloody foreigner can sod off and learn proper English
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                    It's just commas and stuff Churchie.

Being good with them doesn't make you great with words, just means you know the rules.

Bit like comparing Howard Webb to Ronaldo ...
                    Yeah, I know.

If you look at the recent posts other than the AussieLong thread you'll find that most of it has been light-hearted ribbing. In fact most of us have been hoisted by our own petard!

Comment

Working...
                    X